Batteries

Options
cards385
cards385 Registered Users Posts: 21
Can I use Trojan 36 volt batteries for my small solar project? If I can, can I use a normal AC to DC inverter and charge controller or the fact that they are 36 volt does that change everything?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Batteries

Can you please be a bit more specific please.

What are the batteries, what is your solar project, what inverter, what charge controller etc.

Also, inverters generally change DC to AC, so I am not sure of your question either.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The inverters may be hard to find in solar (some MPPT 60-80 amp type Charge Controllers should be available)...

Tripplite (and others) have made 36 volt UPS systems (basically inverter/chargers).

You might do a search through various Tripplite, APC, etc. UPS manufacturers and then search EBay/Craig's List for a used device for you to experiment with (I am not sure how "efficient" they are; you may have issues with starting one up with no 120 VAC present; and you may need some conversion/fusing retrofit/additional chargers with large battery banks).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cards385
    Options

Yes I did mean DC to AC Sorry, I think I will stay away from the 36 volt, I am just trying to light my outside security lights, its more of a hobby or winter project for me. I could get the 36 Volt batteries cheap on craigs list. I am just going to use a 400 Watt inverter hooked up to a panel out in my shed just for the outdoor 13 watt lights.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think you can get away with 12v batteries, but depending on how many lights and how long left on you may need more current capacity in the batteries. you should be able to go with a standard 12v msw inverter at 400w if you like unless future loads would involve any motors or fans, then make that inverter a sine wave inverter.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

there is a thread here somewhere about CFLs that you will want to read,

IMMSMC there was some brand specific information for CFLs used with MSW AC current .

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • tvengineer
    tvengineer Solar Expert Posts: 31
    Options

Why not 12volt CFL bulbs????

I am thinking of the same thing (outdoor lights) ..
    and am looking at 12volt CFL vs. LED lights..

the LEDs are VERY EXPENSIVE.. but they only draw 12watts...

12vold CFLs draw around 25watts.. but they would be easier to work with.
  • BB.
    Options

12 volt CFL's are very expensive compared to 120 VAC bulbs... 10-20 12 volt CFL's or 10-20 120 VAC bulbs + a small sine wave inverter can be about the same price. Plus you can use the sine wave inverter for other things (plus it is easier to send 120 VAC around vs 12 VDC).

Before I purchased a bunch of LED's--I would get a couple and see how they last. Many of the white LED's seem to hold their brightness only for 500-1,000 hours or so before they go dim. However, they can be nice for uses where they turn on/off a lot and/or operate at low temperatures (motion sensor security lights).

I am using CFL's for 5 years or so in our motion detector lights (LED's where not readily available at the time) and want to try a couple LED lamps--but the CFL's are just ticking along nicely (other than taking a while to warm up).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • al128
    al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi there,

I have a similar setup ... and here's what I did:

I have a Xantrex C12 Charger/lighting controller ... it charges the batteries and automatically turns on my 12V CFL's at night ... those stay on all night. It can be programmed to stay on for 2,4,6,8 hrs as well and is pretty inexpensive ... good product in my book!

CFLwise:
    check out: http://phocos.com/product_dc_lighting.html for REALLY good 12V CFL's (not that chinese junk) ... I opted for the 15W model, as it had the best Lumen per Watt ratio ...

also very interesting is the model with the detatching medium, as those are standardized worldwide and you can use any lighting medium from your lucal homedepot (and those do have pretty good Lm/W ratios, too) ... also the balast (the socket) should last a long time, since its the lighting medium that goes south, normally ...

cfl_detachable.jpg

cheers and hope this helps!
    al
  • niel
    Options

in addition to what bb said, you may have the need to go with thicker wires when using 12vdc to overcome voltage drops as they are more severe at 12v when the wire runs become appreciably longer. losses are in any system and all losses should be weighed or addressed. the 120vac inverter is an obvious choice when many lights over varying distances, some of which are large, are used as would be the single dc cfl close to the battery would be for no inverter.
  • cards385
    Options

If my charge controller and batteries are approx. 75 feet from my panels what size wire would you recommend?
  • BB.
    Options

Need to know the panel specifications (amps, volts, how many in series/parallel).

There is the Wiring Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet):

voltage drop calculator

-Bill
  • cards385
    Options

I have 2 DIY Panels and (I am a Newb) I meassure 30-35 Dc Volts on the meter in Pa. November sun.
  • niel
    Options

a 5v range is quite wide. is that open circuit voltage? you will need to know the current to calculate voltage drops.