where to get 230V/50hz inverters in the US?

Options
al128
al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
Hi there,

since I live in an 230V/50hz country, but much closer to the USA than Europe, it makes sense for me to source an inverter from the USA ...

would anybody know of any stores in the states that stock those true sine inverters?

any information welcome,

al

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: where to get 230V/50hz inverters in the US?

Start on eBay: 200371041437

or eBay.ca may be the shipping cost alternative to avoid duties.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The following is information and not a recommendation. Looks like you're in Santiago, Chile?

OutBack Power manufacturers a broad range of TSW inverter/chargers for 230 VAC / 50 Hz markets. See: http://www.outbackpower.com/products/sinewave_inverter/international/

Check this list for an OutBack distributor in Chile: http://www.outbackpower.com/contact/how_to_buy/distributors/

US sources for OutBack's 230 VAC / 50 Hz inverter/chargers include Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (NAWS), this forum's host. See: http://store.solar-electric.com/oupoinoffgrb.html

If you're looking for just a 230 VAC / 50 Hz inverter without a built-in charger, than a TSW model from Exeltech might work for you, and I believe that NAWS can get it for you. See: http://store.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

mabe you could look up inverter suppliers in Australia and have them send you one ?/ If it is about 1000w sinewave they only weigh about 3kg or 7lbs so postage? freight would not be that high. Cost would be for inverter about au$700 about us$630..
  • al128
    Options

thx folks,

your replies were most helpful, indeed!

does anybody know if the exceltech XP1100 can be stacked (2 or 3 units in parallel)?

... I like the fact to have a system that could "grow" with our family's needs by adding units further down the road.

thx again, indeed
    al
    Chile
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

No stacking option available according to the manual (PDF).

Is it the 12 VDC supply you are looking at or one of the higher voltage options?

My 2 cents... Roughly 1,00-1,200 watts maximum at 12 volts (~120+ amps maximum, more if you allow 3 second 2x wattage peak current).

If you are planning on a larger system, 24 volts (~2,400 watts max) or 48 volt (~4,800+ watts maximum) would be my suggestion.

If you are going to use solar panels/chargers--typically the large MPPT type will charge 12-48 volt battery banks--but one charger can charge 4x larger battery banks (more solar panels) than a 12 volt system (60amps*15volts=9,000watts-max; 60amps*60volts=3,600watts-max solar panels).

Only go with a fixed lower voltage (12 vdc, etc.) if you have a lot of specific 12 VDC loads that you need to support.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • crewzer
    Options
    does anybody know if the exceltech XP1100 can be stacked (2 or 3 units in parallel)?
    ... I like the fact to have a system that could "grow" with our family's needs by adding units further down the road.
    Al,

The Exeltech XP inverters can’t be stacked.

However, you could wire several in parallel from the same battery bank. This would give you the option of running, say, just one inverter all the time to meet “constant” load requirements, and then fire up a second inverter only when required for occasional large loads on circuits separate from the first inverter's output.

For example, I’ve been thinking about a system that would use, say, an 1100 W inverter (or one or two 600 W inverters) to efficiently run my computers and network, a/v system, fridge, CFL’s, chargers, and other small loads. Exeltech’s XP inverters include provisions for remote hardwire on/off switches.

My “big” 2500 W inverter, which is not particularly efficient at small loads, would normally be off, but would be powered up for occasional large loads such as the washer, dryer (motor), vacuum cleaner, microwave, hair dryer, dehumidifier(s), and shop tools. My big inverter can be turned on/off via the Mate or via a remote hardwire switch.

The goal here would to improve overall system efficiency by reducing the inefficient use of the big inverter with small “always on” loads. Higher efficiency means a smaller array and battery bank, and/or the ability to handle additional loads.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • al128
    Options
    crewzer wrote: »
    Al,

The Exeltech XP inverters can’t be stacked.

However, you could wire several in parallel from the same battery bank. This would give you the option of running, say, just one inverter all the time to meet “constant” load requirements, and then fire up a second inverter only when required for occasional large loads on circuits separate from the first inverter's output.

[snip]

The goal here would to improve overall system efficiency by reducing the inefficient use of the big inverter with small “always on” loads. Higher efficiency means a smaller array and battery bank, and/or the ability to handle additional loads.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

I hear you clear on this "best of 2 worlds" topic ...

To provide some additional information ... my bat.bank will be 24V ...

and I managed to get our daily consumption down to around 2kwh x day (using all cf-lamps, netbooks, a good efficient fridge and the fact that our little one imploded the old tv-set also helped a good deal ;) )

The only "big" load that I still have (and will keep) is the microwave (1300w based on a watt's up reading) and - to a lesser extent - the (clothes) washing machine (w/OUT heating element).

How, in practical terms would a 2 inverter setup be done? How would you turn it on/off remotely?

I figure the inverters will still be physically close to the batt's ... so how would my (uninvolved) wife fire up the 2nd unit in the "prohibited room"? :roll:

thx for clearing this up for me, as i cant really visualize it.

cheers,
    al
  • crewzer
    Options

Al,

Take a look at the attached drawings.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • al128
    Options
    crewzer wrote: »
    Al,

Take a look at the attached drawings.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

great drawing!!!

thx, big time,
    Al