Series vs parallel

cards385
cards385 Registered Users Posts: 21
When soldering the solar cells which is better, putting them in series or parallel.

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Re: Series vs parallel

Both.

You'll have to solder them in series to bring the voltage up to desired rate. After that, hook up the panels in series or parallel. Series stacks voltage in the panels. Parallel keeps the desired voltage and stacks the amperage. All my cells are soldered in series to achieve 18-20v no load, then the panels themselves are hooked up in parallel to stack amperage.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • cards385

Thanks, I have one panel finished and I am starting on my 2nd one.
  • GreenPowerManiac

I did the same. When I was done, I had 17 panels.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

GreenPowerManiac,

you will have to show us pictures of all you panels. it sounds great.
    I have 3 panels one is of 4x4's and I'm working on a 6x6 and i will start on a 5x5 panel.just goofing around.
  • cards385

I am the same, its more of a hobby or winter project for me. my panel looks pretty good but it has a couple of cracked cells, they are so brittle, I cracked 3 in the first row but once I got the hang of it I didn't break any on the next 2 rows. Today in the sun I was getting about 15-16 volts from my panel, it has 24 (3x6) cells. I live in PA. so the sun is pretty weak right now, especially today. This week I am going to make a bigger panel, I will post pics later.
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

Today I'm going tom order some glass for my 6x6's and then buy some more 6x6's and 5x5's. I'd likr to do a 72 cell panel. I haven't tryed anything likr that yet. I started to make my own frames so it's alittle less exspensive. I have a link to all of the things I have been doing.

,http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu73/WayneBlake/.
  • GreenPowerManiac

DeltaFox,

If you wander from my Ezine page, you'll see what you're looking for.