Xantrex LinkPro Installation Question

I'm installing a Xantrex LinkPro Battery Monitor in a small off-grid system. I'm not certain where the battery positive connections should be made. The installation instructions tell you to hook directly to THE positive battery terminal. Well, I have several to choose from. It seems like there are 3 options: 1) Pick a battery positive terminal 2) Connect to the battery side of the DC disconnect 3) connect to the supply side of the DC disconnect. All other connections for the monitor are in the dc disconnect enclosure, so it would be nice to put the batt positives conneciton in there as well. So I would lean towards connecting to batt side of disconnect. The only advantage I could see to connecting to system side would be to cut off the very small drain on the batts during extended absence form the property. Anybody know where these connections are typically made?

Thanks very much for your time.

Mark

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex LinkPro Installation Question

Mark,

The connection diagrams in the old Link 10's manual may help you.

See: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/72/docserve.aspx

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for digging up the link to the other manual. Much more complete than mine. Unfortunately, it doesn't directly address the question of is it ok to mount battery positive connections at the dc disconnect (4 feet of cable away from the battery terminal itself). Every diagram I have seen depicts a connecttion at battery terminal, so I guess that is what I will do unless I hear of someone having success otherwise.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Connecting directly to the battery terminal will provide the highest accuracy, as it will avoid possible voltage drops in the high-current cabling and hardware.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer