Grid Tie Planing Help

Hey Everyone - Awesome Forums btw.

So I have been reading through but still have a few questions.

I recently came into about 20x 85 Watt solar Panels, live in Arizona and wanted to use them to reduce my electric bill some. My first Idea was to just buy some of the "Plug and Play" inverters of ebay, but after reading here I have come to understand those are not safe. Is this correct?

If I do want to set them up to be grid tie, I was thinking all I really needed was a grid tie inverter. Would the one linked below do the job? I was thinking about just paying an electrician to come and hook it up for me. What else would I need? Im not really interested in backup power since I have a pretty good generator and plenty of extension cords.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fronius-IG-2000-Solar-Grid-Tie-Inverter-used_W0QQitemZ150378901771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230347f10b

So My Idea would be Solar Panels - > Inverter - > Grid What am I missing?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Grid Tie Planing Help

Yep--it would work (Fronius inverters are good).

You would need:
    1. Ensure that all parts (panels, GT Inverter, wiring, mounts, etc. meet current code)
    2. Utility approval for grid tie system
    3. Building Permits and final sign-off (typically including sign off by Professional Engineer if roof mounted solar array)
    4. Licensed Electrician to sign off / make the connections
    Typically, the 85 watt panels are a bit on the small size... Lots of wiring and mounting. Plus, many older/smaller panels are not UL/NRTL listed for 600 Volt operation (GT inverters are high voltage DC strings--older/smaller panels are typically designed for 12-48 volt applications).

And Codes change... My 4 year old GT inverter does not meet current NEC code for new installs. I don't know about the unit you are looking at.

-Bill

PS: Next time, if you can find a link to the Fronius website or somewhere else for the product link--Ebay links "go away" after a few weeks and make it difficult for people reading the threads later to understand what the original questions/answers may have been.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

all gt inverters are supposed to be certified to meet safety requirements such as ul. the small individual inverters i believe you to be talking of are more costly to implement just by the sheer number of inverters needed.
    as to the used fronius i believe there was some problems occurring with their use recently, but i'm too lazy to look up the thread. you would notice in the ebay link that it shows in the specs it is ul listed.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

My Xantrex is also UL listed--but it is to an older standard that is not longer acceptable to code.

Mine is just 240 VAC L1/L2 connected--the new standard requires a 120/240 VAC Split Phase L1/L2/N connection--and validates voltage between all three wires (I guess, can detect an open neutral back to the pole--from what little I have read about the changes a couple years back).

Regarding the Fronius issue:

Fronius MPP Hunting

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset