prefab'd BIPV kits?

Options
Aloha,

I am an architect in Hawaii interested in incorporating more PV into our residential projects. A client recently asked me for info on BIPV structures such as small carport/parking structures that might be available at (relatively) competitive prices. My sense is that building a 'conventional' structure and installing PV on it is still the most affordable option at this time (at least for residential scale, 5kW or smaller systems)

I have an email into envision solar (http://envisionsolar.com/project-portfolio/lifesystems/) but it appears they are still developing their systems as they didn't list any pricing nor do they have any distribution network that I could find at this time.

I am particularly interested in bifacial or semi-transparent systems, but any small integrated structures are of interest. Hope some people here might help out.

Mahalo,

Ben

(PS: I searched the forums for BIPV and a few other terms but came up empty)

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: prefab'd BIPV kits?

we generally don't say much along these lines as we go straight for the best functionality we can given costs. most of what you describe uses thin film technology which is far less efficient and may not last as long, but the modules we deal with here on this forum may be incorporated to be something like a carport roof if ambient side lighting is ok as standard modules will block much of the direct light. but do all carports have the right orientation? the roof framing must be modified so as to orient best towards the southern sky at a good angle and would have the same continuous slant or the back side of it will be oriented away from the sun and would mean scrapping pvs on that part of the structure. of course flat, or nearly so, might appeal to you as an architect, but this is bad for electrical production. being in hawaii would mean the angles are flatter than those here on the mainland though. the summer/winter angles are generally +/-23.5 degrees from your latitude as the ideal solar noon peak angle.
    i did bring up bipv on wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_integrated_photovoltaics
    and there may be some leads at the bottom that you could follow to see who may provide this stuff. united solar ovonics, or unisolar as we call it, did have solar shingles years ago. i don't know if these are still around let alone the company for during the bush administration they were given a boost in funds just prior to george visiting them for they were in some trouble then.
    i hope i helped you somewhat and hopefully others can throw a few cents worth into the mix too.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

One of the major problems with the bi-facial and semi-transparent modules is the cost vs energy payback. They typically cost anywhere from 2 to 4x as much with installation, but the energy generated is only a small increase over conventional panels.

Many, such as the skylight type, require special installation and can end up costing as much as $25 per watt, vs around $4 for a standard panel.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Niel, I did go to the wikipedia link and ended up on another site with a reasonable collection of links for BIPV info:

http://www.pvresources.com/en/bipven.php

I am definitely not interested in the stuff that comes with a heavy $$ premium, I suppose the obvious notion is trying to get 'double duty' out of the PV system, and perhaps showcase it a little for the homeowner.

Yes, the roof application for the current project under consideration is low slope (5%) and there is a slight energy penalty of we go with a PV system that matches.

However, it may be that we'll have to wait a few more years before the full 'prefab kits' become available in a competitive price range. This time we will likely just install over the roof more conventionally.

Thanks again for the quick & thoughtful replies! Now I have to stroll on over to the newbie forums and try to learn how to install my own DIY grid-tie system.

Mahalo,

Ben