Solar Panel Repair

I recently inherited 7 large solar panels that have been sitting around unconnected for several years. They are Solarex PL-110. It seems they are old enough that I could not find any online literature on them, but if I choose to follow the naming convetions Solarex has used for their other panels, they *could be* 110 watt panels.

To test, I put one of them in the sun and hooked it up a multimeter. Sadly, I got about 6.5v and 0.001Amps of juice. Obviously something is not working here. So I grabed another of one of the panels, same output.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience working with Solar panels, but I am fairly technically oriented (EE minor) so I know Im not testing it incorrectly. Could it be that both of these panels are fried? From my understanding there is not any "wear" from usage, correct? So could it be some of the contacts between cells in the panels are broken?

Have any of you ever come across this issue with old panels before? Is it fixable? With some solder a stick of bubble gum and some duct tape? :-D

BTW, I have not tested the other 5 panels yet...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar Panel Repair

If you can find an obvious open, you may be able to repair it from the back and reseal (the bus strips are simply soldered together--from what little I have seen of the process). Look for discoloration or other anomolies that you may be able to repair.

Or, from a google search on Solarex:
    Manufacturer of a wide range of solar electric (photovoltaic) panels. Purchased Solarex in 2001, Solarex panels now sold under the BP brand name.

I would first try contacting BP and see if they can work a deal to replace them--would be wonderful if you can find the original paper work/distributor-sales/and-or original buyer to backup the claim--BP currently has a 25 year warranty and there is a good possibility that they will work with you on the problem...

Looking around, it is possible that the where known as BP MSX 110 panels with the following ratings:

BP Solar MSX 110
    Max Power Voltage - Vmp 33.6 Vdc
    Open Circuit Voltage - Voc 41.6 Vdc
    Voltage Temp Coeff - Vtoc -0.08 V/°C
    STC Rating - Pmp 110 Wstcdc
    Max Power Current - Imp 3.3 Adc
    PTC Rating 95.7 Wptc

And here is a BP MSX 110/120 data sheet:

http://www.solardepot.com/pdf/BP_MSX_120_Data_Sheet.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I have a bunch of these panels that I bought used they were original wired for 4 volts normal hence the 6 volts you are getting @ open voltage. I series them to get 12 volts.(3 Panels) thats 19+ volts open voltage like a regular 12 volt rated panel.
    I did have a spec. sheet with that information on it but was missed placed.

If you or one of the other folks finds it let me Know. I don't think you have a problem with them, I believe they were designed and built to that voltage. Mine were a commercial grade.;)
  • System2

I looked at your post again you have 7 panels I have configured my arrays more than one, panels in a 24 volt system using 6 of these panels and another with 8 panel for a little more ump. 7 panels should work just find for a 24 volt system Good luck. Like me know if this works if not Mine have been doing something right for the last 10 years.:confused:
  • System2

Will after years of looking I found the spec sheet . These are 5 volt panels. PL stands for Power Line used in heavy duty large arrays. try to goggle Solarex PDF file PL 110 There at top of list open and come down past talking about solar cells. And you will find spec sheet I not computer savvy. so i don't know how to tag it on to this. Hope this helps by the way I was disappointed to find out they are 65 watts but at 13 amps. I am going to get it printed out tomorrow:cool:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

pete,
    it has been nearly 3 years since the op posted and is not even a valid member under that username any longer so it is doubtful that person will be reading what you wrote even though it may be good for future reference.
  • System2

Description and Electrical / Mechanical Specs for the PL-110 can be found at
    www.ece.mtu.edu/faculty/bamork/ee3120_S05/Sol_Dsgn.pdf
    Pages 7 and 8 of 8.
    Panels are rated at 5.0V / 12 Amps at Peak Power.
    I have a system that I am maintaining consisting of 12 panels. All of the panels are functional even with minor mechanical damage (some cells have slight corner breakage on the wafers).

Regarding the Warranty the Spec sheet dated 2/82 says "5 years limited warranty".