DIY solar panel install

I have two 120w panels that are 2x5 feet. Could I install the panels on the roof by the over hangs to avoid penetrating the livable roof area. My over hang is one ft around the house.

Every roofer I talk to wants to change me $600 just to install the panels on the roof.

I would like some idea's.

I thought about putting them up as a solar awning, but the area I want only get sun from 1PM to 4PM. If I put it lower I would get an extra three hours but it is in the way.

Another idea is create a custom rack that mounts on the wood overhang and another rail glued to the cement tile and mounted to the corner wood overhang.

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: DIY solar panel install
    I have two 120w panels that are 2x5 feet. Could I install the panels on the roof by the over hangs to avoid penetrating the livable roof area. My over hang is one ft around the house.

Yes, you could do that as long as it's strong enough to support the panel.

Bolt metal frames 2' long so that 1' is bolted to the overhang and 1' hangs off. Then bolt the PVs to those. No problem.

Try to keep the panels up off the roof a couple of inches so they get some cooling - they put out less power when they get hotter.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if you get snows be sure to mount them higher to avoid the snows sliding down the roof building under or on the pvs. we generally advise a minimum of a 6 inch clearance between pvs and the surface underneath to dissipate heat too.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

This might help on roof mounting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyanDWD1H-k

Another thing if your worred about heat the distance from roof is 3".