Fresnel Lenses

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Seen this site on Fresnel lenses: http://optics.org/cws/article/research/18094

Any idea how to acquire such a lens and what they cost ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Fresnel Lenses

a search will reveal the sizes and costs of them. if you elect to use them with either pvs or cells be sure you know 2 things.
    1> to work properly a good tracking device much be used.
    2> the higher concentration of sunlight will deplete the lifespan of either the cells or modules and would be a violation of most warranties.
    most experimentation in concentrating solar has been done with the amorphous type cells/modules as they are more cheaply produced.
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

With a lense (on top of traditional PVs), the increased wattage, reduced lifespan could be a wash compared to traditional PVs in term of the total energy produced, could be a little bit gain, who knows.
    This could accelerate the pay-back period if you don't care about manufacturer guarantee.
    The thing to concern is how to dissipate the extra heat that the PVs weren't design for. Otherwise, it would badly effect lifespan and wattage wouldn't increase that much (with much higher cell temp.)
    GP
  • GreenPowerManiac

True, True.

I've seen dual purpose Solar Panels where they produced hot water and electricity. Kind of like a radiator effect on a car. Instructables.com had a 5 dollar solar water heating collector made from some wood scraps and an old coil on back of the fridge.

Niel,

You know, that got me thinking. The burn out effect from the magnification might be able to be regulated by the tab & bus sized wires. The more current, the higher the demand for larger, properly sized wiring. A heat sink of some kind may be able draw the excess temperature, say, ceramic backing & single pane tempered glass cover if run without the water jacket.

Did the cells burn out or the wiring ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"Did the cells burn out or the wiring ?"

now that's an interesting question. i think the cells themselves burned out, but i now wonder how many may have popped their ribbon wires.
  • GreenPowerManiac

This would be interesting to test on a small scale with the Poly-Crystalline cells that I have.

A large magnifying glass and one wired cell should do the trick. Problem is all my good cells are on the roof. The remnants I have aren't worth squat.

Maybe the white conductor grid needs to be thicker to carry the extra current along with the wiring.

I feel like I'm trying to put a turbo charger on a lawn mower and make it work.