prosine inverter/charger - battery setting question

Options
2»

Comments

• mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: prosine inverter/charger - battery setting question

can we start a discussion w/out the flame? id like to know both sides. right now my impressionable mind has been made towards one side but thats from listening to wise who has been guiding me.

my mind is very flexible in changing - providing logical facts/arguments are presented and it makes sense.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If anyone wants to supply links/information about desulphators (other than just links to sites that have units/kits/plans for sale--which will be deleted as spam)--please feel free.

I just spent awhile going through the web searching for the "Scandi Labs" desulphator report, and looked for any other lab reports--and I cannot find any originals. Just "summaries" of the reports.

In the end, even the more positive reports about desulphators seem to have mixed results (doesn't work, adds 1 year of life, brought many batteries to good as new--except these last few, etc.) and are right in the discussion of dosing batteries with aspirin, Coke, EDTA, Epsom Salts, and any other of any number of suggestions.

Even other forums with posts to "good sites" about desulfators ended up in a bunch of dead links...

The final recommendation--read a few Battery FAQs about how to take care of your battery bank--and it will probably alleviate the need for any additional equipment and additives.

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
    www.batteryfaq.org

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

a discussion on that subject will also result in relocating this thread as it is an unproven thing. btw, some of them are pulsed dc chargers and not desulfators. desulfators are near 1mhz in frequency and would prove semi difficult to do with high current levels pulsed at that frequency and would prove to be more costly as well as unproven to work. if the discussion is wanting to go further we will be happy to move the thread. best way to cure sulfation is to take proper care of a battery and prevent it in the first place.
  • mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

in the prosine 3.0 manual (page 60 and 65) it says for Jonhson control batteries, set it to gel and do not equalize.

what is their reasoning for this? would this apply to the sam's club battery. am confused by the prosine manual give these instructions
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

From one of the Optima Batteries (Blue Top PDF Spec.):
    Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gases to escape, causing premature end of life.

These gases are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot while charging should be disconnected immediately.

This is a sealed VRLA battery--and should not be overcharged/equalized.

Similar to Gel Battery in construction and charging instructions... My guess anyway...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset