Cad software

Options
Hi, hello everybody.
I want to start studying a software to design solar energy projects.
What do you think is/are the most used for the solar energy companies?
Auto cad? Should be google sketchup enough?
Thank you very much.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Cad software

Just as an FYI... Each company seems to develop its own internal tool sets and data flow sets.

Look at what your desires are... Learning AutoCad will give you a good leg up in any profession (although, there are better tools out there for CAD/CAM) and your experience in AutoCad (or whatever tool you choose to learn) will make the next tool you learn (for a particular employer) that much easier and quicker for you to master.

In business, it is not just the drawings that CAD/CAM tools are good for--it is the underlying models, automatic bills of material generation, design rule checking, etc. that can really add to the efficiency of an organization and with vendor/customer communications.

Having experience in several disciplines--such as a Drafting Tool, and some sort of computer language/software (C, scripting, etc.) makes you valuable when the time comes to integrate/maintain a work flow for larger firms.

For small firms, frequently the "automation" side is just to expensive to justify--But big trees grow from small seeds.

Good Luck!
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

Auto Cad is a good start. It's a bit limited in capabilities however. I've heard Solid Works is more universal with mechanical stuff, such in this case. Doing a search on renewable energy Cad programs revealed a lot about using Auto Cad.

BB.'s right. Learn the basics with Auto Cad. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • StevenB
    StevenB Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

See if you can get a hold of an old copy of AutoCad 14. It will be a cheaper way to get started, and frankly a much easier version to learn and use.
    AutoCad for 2D work is the most straight forward functioning, and productive.

Solidworks is another industry standard for sure, but it's got a huge learning curve.

And unless you are working in an architectural design house or looking at generating engineering level specifications...Macromedia Flash can be used to generate scale line work, and drop in symbols from a library.....very quickly.
  • D.I.M.1
    D.I.M.1 Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your going to get a CAD software go Autodesk Inventor they are the best one, very easy to use, and are standard for most designing companies. It can also be used in tandem with EdgeCAM which is used to mill out parts using a robotic drill, so you can get the most accurate parts depending on your job.
    Also, If you do get this software and don't understand how to use it I could send you a couple of power points on how to.
    -D.I.M.8)