Wind power to watch TV

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
I've threatened the wife many times before to pull the plug on the TV set because of excessive watching & weight gain.

Why not set up a PMA connected to an exercise cycle right in front of the TV ? When you want to watch Emeril Live, you'll have to peddle your butt off to generate power to watch it.
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Wind power to watch TV

At best, you will probably generate around 100-200 watts for 20-40 minutes... You will need to keep the TV relatively small to make it anywhere near practical. If you add batteries, then there will be more costs and energy losses.

Who knows--maybe your wife will thank you?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

gpm,
    i've always liked the idea of such a dual purpose in exercise equipment. the resulting electricity would either go to a battery that consumers would kill for lack of charge in it or it would go to the utility in a grid tied arangement. the gt system would not be very popular among the utilities and maybe even inspectors electricians, and the nec. unfortunately at this time such a thing is mostly confined to diy. costs are higher too, but people overspend on that stuff anyway imho.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

OR, something like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNk0GuGb_A

http://rerev.com/recardio.html

BTW, I routinely take my laptop to the gym and use it while on the elliptical trainer, but of
    course, I do not use the energy that I produce... I sure could though, to keep the battery up.

I could also run my little fan that I clip onto the machine, too, by the exercise itself.
    Well, maybe...

boB

• niel

yes, something like that. those ones are gt, but could also be configured for batteries if people wouldn't run them down too far and remember to give them a full charge some times. for us we know and would take the steps to maintain the batteries as most, i fear, would stop exercising and get interested in a show and run it down.:cry:
    now in fairness one could go without the battery and generate only up to say 100 or 200w like the tv and you stop and it stops. the problem is if they run a small 15w radio then they won't get much of a workout.
  • GreenPowerManiac

I was kind of thinking of one of those LED flashlights that you have to shake in order to store power.

Spin the turbine for a minute then stop for a minute. When you see the power dwindling, start cranking again. The idea is to make a 20 minute workout within a 1 hour show.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel

gpm,
    those are storing small amounts of power most likely in an electrolytic capacitor. these are fine for small power levels where a few milliwatts are used, but it is another story to watch a tv. that would mean a battery to store that much power.
  • GreenPowerManiac

The way things are nowadays, most all electronics are solid-state. My 61" HD TV only needs 200 watts to operate and it's 9 years old. Sooner or later they'll figure out how to run 200 milliwatts for it.

Watch this electric cycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftkgQAr2rU
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You may be surprised when you look for a new flat screen TV (assuming your old TV has a picture tube)--The new flat screens (LCD, Plasma) seem to use around 2x the power of the equivalent picture tube TV. Some of the older Projection TV's used less power than LCD.

My several year old LCD 32" uses around 160 watts of power...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

It's one of those RGB projector types & flat screen. Pretty fancy for its time.

Now if the cycle was set up with a few pulleys to increase the rpms....
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

The quicky hack and slash way:

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments_bicycle.html

The slightly more scientific way:

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html
  • GreenPowerManiac

Check this out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cf89tawZX8&feature=PlayList&p=6978902494E9A09C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

If you think the bicycle is neat watch this....