batteries from big chain stores

2»

Comments

• bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: batteries from big chain stores
    the battery is actually 90amps over 20hrs. also its not true deep cycle
    if a retailer is providing false information about his products, you should report the circumstances to your state's AG office.

When you described plates, did you take the batteries apart and measure them or did you go by what someone told you? Can you show how this measure is relevant to things that matter to a buyer?

"30 or 80" cycles to 80% DoD is less than half what most SLI batteries can handle. I'd like to see a citation or some measure I can hang a hat on for these kinds of assertions.

Again, the talk about "deep cycle battery" and "golf cart battery" and "true deep cycle" - please define these terms in some measurable and objectively observable manner. Otherwise such talk is just distracting noise.

Costco batteries are popular because they are inexpensive, well supported with a warranty (that is on par with Surrette's or Trojan's from what I can tell), and do the job for most folks. When I last bought batteries there, I got a laugh about their display of bright yellow batteries with a prominent "golf cart" sign on them - it was obvious they were appealing to those folks who've been suckered by the "true deep cycle 6v golf cart" myths. caveat emptor - and a first step is to use meaningful objective measures and well defined terms that are based on them.
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely the average DoD will be more like 10%-15%, which is right in the sweet spot for such a system.
    and provides a healthy reserve if needed!
  • mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

[When you described plates, did you take the batteries apart and measure them or did you go by what someone told you? Can you show how this measure is relevant to things that matter to a buyer?]

manufacturer told me when i called up. battery at the store says 115A.

i commented on how its misleading - the guy just said 'well its marketing - thats left up to the sales folks'. he is obviously a technicall person manning the phones.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi all

this is my take on batteries....

The battery or battery pack is the heart of any off-grid system. Everything you want to do is dependent on that battery power.

There is a wide range of batteries available for those who go solar. Each has different characteristics, and cost can run from inexpensive to extremely expensive. Battery technology, like solar technology, continues to evolve.

Lead-acid batteries provide the best “performance-vs-cost” for the kinds of energy storage needed by an off-gridder. Cars use lead-acid batteries.

They’re designed differently for solar applications, of course, as what’s required is a low-power outlet for long periods. In addition, lead-power batteries use practically all of their “depth of charge”.