Need Help With Nicad Identification

Options
I have some older Nife Nicads that don't seem to show up in any internet searches. They are labeled H 410-4 and KPH 135 P. Does anyone know the age or amp hour capacity of these?

Also, haven't seen anything for sale here. Is it permissible to list items?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Need Help With Nicad Identification

Yes, you can post personal solar related items for sale here (one-off sales, not ongoing). Try to list the details here and not just point to an Ebay link with no information.

Use Private Messages, E-Mail, etc. for negotiations. Recommend that you post when the sale has closed.

Regarding your Nife cells... I could not find anything about the ones you posted.

I did, however, find a PDF catalog about Nife from a French company--perhaps it will give you some information (compare your cells to those in the catalog:

Nife Catalog (PDF in French)

Otherwise, try a few charge and discharge cycles to see if they are even any good... And then put a timed load on them to see what your estimate of capacity is.

Here is another recent thread here that had some NIFE Ni-Cad information:

SAFT NIFE Brand Batteries

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if you have not maintained them in many moons, they are probably no good as the shelf life even when it started out fully charged is very short. they could lose most of their charge even after a month or two. if you have a voltmeter and it is under 1v it is most likely bad, but you could try to recharge them anyway and see if it takes.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi , the 'wet NiCds I have are KPMP 100
    the M is the label for Medium discharge

I am guessing the H in your label is for High discharge rate, and probably at 135 A rating. desgned for heavy short discharges... like starting a motor, not so good for solar apps but can work especially that you have tem.

read through the SAFT manual that you can link here

http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Documents/stationary/Cube780/tm_bb_en_0407.6f92351c-93f1-4404-b97d-bc4669140ace.pdf

and you can glean lots of info from it.
    Here are some discharge tables for newer SAFTs

http://www.norwatt.es/pdf/Saft/bb_data.pdf

As to charging/testing apply a load from a couple of old Hi/Low beam sealed beam headlights for up to 5 hours or until you reach the min /cell voltage of .8 V then recharge.

Read the ENTIRE manual before you start as these batteries are very different to LA batteries. You will be amazed at how they , probably, will come back, mine sat untended for 6 years in a heated warehouse... most were good some I will play with this winter changing the electrolyte and recharging, I now have 500 Ah of well tested batteries with possibly another 200Ahs.
    Hope you have a constant Amperage charger.

Do you have some pictures?

good luck

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • JT2222
    JT2222 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Options

I've had these for years & havn't used them for some time. Just now got them back out & doing some charging & testing. You're right. They are the high output type & 135 Ah. I did find some info on them a couple of years ago but have misplaced it & apparently they are old enough that the manufacturer has dropped it from their website. Don't know what to use them for other than engine starting. Didn't realize when I bought them, the difference between the low, high, & medium output types.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

well the SBH 137 's will give you 25 A for 5 hours or 16 A for 8 hours, good for lights...

how many do you have?

btw the cells I have were not recognized by any one on staff but I managed to find out that they are from the 1980's or early 1990's, guess that all the 'old guys' have retired...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada