KYOCERA KC130TM Mounting Question

Options
Hello Folks, Has anyone had frame problems with the KC130 panels? I just noticed the my panels (currently mounted horizontal) are holding water in the long side tubular framing extrusion.

Kyocera has assured me that the panels may be mounted either direction without water freezing and damaging the frames. Any experience or comments? thanks

Comments

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: KYOCERA KC130TM Mounting Question

I have 10 KC130tm and some are installed horizontally as well and does collect water on the long side of the frame but I have encountered an problems to date. They have been in service for about 1.5yrs.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

although no damage will occur from water laying on the pvs, this will prevent a proper washing off of the pv from all of the dirt and dust that has accumulated on it. some tilt is recommended for that reason and the reason of better collection by aiming toward the sun better.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Damani,
    I am concerned that water in the tubular section of the frames may freeze and swell the extrusion, cuasing damage.
    Damani, are you located in a northern area subject to freeze/thaw cycles? Thanks for your reply

Also thanks to Neil. I'm not concerned about water on the panels, but specifically in the long side of the frame. The frame has a tubular area (hidden) which holds water when mounted horizontaly. There is a weep hole, but it's location seems to be designed for vertical (tall) mounting. Thanks
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Options

James,

Sorry to say but I live in beautiful, breezy Barbados in the West Indies-no freezing down here, coldest it has ever been at night must have been about 78/79 F.

Cheers...
    Damani