Service Call - 3rd Year

Mangas
Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
For members who care about this stuff had our system checked out and serviced in its third year by the techs.

They shut the four inverters down and pulled all the disconnects. Cleaned (very carefully) all the battery tops. Easier with the water miser caps as they vent from the top.

Disconnected and removed cables showing any sign of corrosion scrubbing them and the posts clean with a wire brush and baking soda solution. About 14 cables needed it but only three had a much residue . Replaced a couple of stainless post bolts and nuts showing corrosion.

They said our serviced battery condition and their experience with the L-16s' should see eight years minimum. Hope they're right.

Serviced genny and replaced 60 month battery with 72 month (cheap insurance). Genny ran only 34 hours this year with tests! That translates into the genny being needed only 3 times this year to date. True we've had a drier summer but the system is handling all the power loads easily, including two 2.5 ton central air conditioners without any standby help.

Everything clean and spotless. Fired everything back up. Good to go.
Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Service Call - 3rd Year

isn't it nice when things work good?:D
  • Mangas

Hi Neil,

The technology really has proved itself. . . so far. I'm hooked on the freedom and independance it allows too. Can't quantify that.

I can't get the grin off my face when the A/C compressors idle along so far from the grid.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • _OS_
    _OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Quite an impressive system you have there! Do you have any pictures to share with us?

Ole
  • Mangas

Inverters and array.
  • niel

btw, have you still been getting lightning hitting the agaves?
  • Mangas

Haven't had an agave strike this year on the ranch but am on guard. We are in the summer rains period and lightening is in our mountains every day.

I cleared any blooming agaves (some stalks 20+ feet) away from the array but I don't think it will make much difference with a close in strike. I know they installed a grounding mat off the array field which hopefully will help.

When we work cattle and lightening is seen on the mountains, I head in as soon as I can.

I don't want my horse and I to be a desert roman candle an unfortunate common occurrence in our country.
  • Mangas

For Neil,

20 + foot Agave "Desert Lightning Rod" bloom.
  • niel

is that one near the pvs?:D your standing next to it gives a good perspective.
  • Mangas

Yes, that one was about 10' away from the array.

I cleared three this size. Once they bloom the plant dies and the bloom eventually breaks off at the stem. It'll fall on anything close (like the array) and can do damage too.

Hail is another worry and on it goes for we solar people.