MC connector crimping

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: MC connector crimping

Go ahead and put the link to the tool/supplier (I don't think NAWS sells the crimp tools anyway).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Dave Sparks If you ever had the privilage of going to sea on a luxury boat about 150 ft long you would appreciate how enjoyable a boat worth multi millions of dollars can be compared to going out in the ocean in a 20ft half cabin cruiser..
    You would also start to understand the complexity of the electrics in such a motor yacht. .. It takes about 8 hours to wire up a small 20ft er compared to hundreds of hours for a 150 ft er.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Go ahead and put the link to the tool/supplier (I don't think NAWS sells the crimp tools anyway).

-Bill

We don't list them on our site because they are a special order item, and availability sometimes is pretty poor - 2-12 weeks at times.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi.

You must be careful with the crimping. The manufactures are aware of customers buying a different tool from another supplier.

They only give warranties for connectors which were crimped with an original tool. We had such problems with one of our customers and Tyco Electronic products, according to the way the crimp looked like they could tell that it was done with an alternative tool.

Best regards
    Daniel
  • cajun666
    cajun666 Solar Expert Posts: 27

i just got some end off of ebay now i need to buy one those calmp tools
  • System2

I am a self-installer. Does anybody know this:

Could we buy the preassembled cables, cut them in half and run them all the way from the last panel in a row (we have two rows of ten panels) through the junction box, through our attic in conductors right into the DC disconnect?

For one-time type installations (i.e., you are not an installer)--typically you just purchase some already made-up male/female jumper cables--cut the cables in half and wire them as transition splices to the balance of your system. From NAWS:

http://store.solar-electric.com/incaforsoelp.html

-Bill[/QUOTE]
  • SSofAZ
    SSofAZ Registered Users Posts: 8

Stefanie....the distribution house you bought your panels from should be able to make these up for you. If not, try Affordable Solar in New Mexico.
  • Solarinstaller
    Solarinstaller Registered Users Posts: 8

I just can not believe that guy said we use the correct crimp so we can charge more for the work. Are you nuts?.. The crimp tool is not only the ONLY correct way to properly crimp Tyco, MC3 and 4 or Solar line 1 or 2 (Old school) connectors, it is also the only approved method for maintaining Manufacturer warranty on the panels. (Second) The proper crimp tool is faster than any soldered joint....FACT! People like you give bad advice that cause fires ... So be nice and be fair in your reporting. before you hurt someone!8)
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

I'm believe in soldering more than the next guy, but think you should only use the proper MC-4 connectors for solar modules. I went through the process to get the MC-4 tooling and it has easily paid for itself in being able to buy USE-2 wire in bulk and custom make our own cables.
    On the other hand, I don't find the crimper to be anything special and would recommend someone needing to do just their own system to use a universal crimp tool, or even better to solder the MC-4 crimp terminals. It will be a lot slower than the official crimp tool but that is one expensive tool. I always wonder how people talk about wanting to make solar power affordable, then they crank up the pricing.
  • System2
    :DThats the ticket! Just break down and buy the kit, I sell the Rennsteig Kits from Germany. it contains Cutter, strippers and die sets for all crimps. SL-1 SL-2 MC-3 MC-4 and Tyco...great item all approved by all panel manufacturers.

Only Multi-Contact tools are approved to crimp MC4 and MC3 connectors. This has to do with UL, IEC and NEC.

The crimp tool from Multi-Contact is currently just under $400 USD.
  • System2
    solarix wrote: »
    I'm believe in soldering more than the next guy, but think you should only use the proper MC-4 connectors for solar modules. I went through the process to get the MC-4 tooling and it has easily paid for itself in being able to buy USE-2 wire in bulk and custom make our own cables.
    On the other hand, I don't find the crimper to be anything special and would recommend someone needing to do just their own system to use a universal crimp tool, or even better to solder the MC-4 crimp terminals. It will be a lot slower than the official crimp tool but that is one expensive tool. I always wonder how people talk about wanting to make solar power affordable, then they crank up the pricing.

Soldering is not a controlled process and crimping is, many tests have shown crimping to be much better than soldering for solar applications.
  • System2
    BB. wrote: »

-Bill

www.multi-contact.com