MC4 connectors?

Brock
Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
I am thinking of adding a few panels and see most come with MC4 connectors now. It would be nice to use them rather than mess with wiring it myself back to the combiner panel. Since I have never seen or worked with the MC4 connectors I am wondering some things...

What connectors are typically on a panel? I would assume one male and one female on the + and - side? Since I will have 4 in series I just need about 20 feet to get back to the combiner box from each end. I am wondering if I can order a 50 foot cable and cut it in half using the appropriate ends on each end of the array or are they the same gender and I need to order two extensions?

It looks to be a single conductor, correct?
3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MC4 connectors?

sounds like a plan to me.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

This is exactly how my panels are connected. Maybe not fancy, but it works. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

And our fearless leader sells a pair of MC 4 tools for $9.00:

wind-sun_2064_6205449Disconnect Tool for MC4 Connectors (set of 2)

And various adapter cables.

Of course, you can purchase a 2' male/female cable, cut in half, and splice in to your existing system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, looks like I will just leave them as is, if I can convince my wife...
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI