Solar Cynergy Panels

I can get these panels pretty cheap locally and was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with them, I had never heard of them before. Just wondering if they are worth the low price, about $3.00 a watt, that low of a price makes me wonder.

Comments

• adas
    adas Solar Expert Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Cynergy Panels

Aloha, what is the rating? and the type? I got mine on Craigs list for 2.84/w and they run great and 10% over their rating. But it would be a great deal if you can get a good receipt so you can get the credits. frank
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

They are not UL or NEC compliant so you cannot get any rebates in most places.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Well since I live in Virginia, I'm not to worried about rebates. I just want to make sure they are decent panels, I'll only be buying about 200 watts for a small project.
  • System2

Perhaps not rebates, but what about your home insurance?
  • System2

I hadn't thought about having to make a claim on a damaged panel, will an insurance company not cover a panel that is not UL or NEC compliant?

Anyway, I would still like to know if they are decent lasting panels.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Think more in line like if your house burns down and the fire marshall points the finger at the panels/wiring as the cause.
  • System2

Riiiight, that was a dense comment on my part. I'll just keep looking for a good deal on panel that is UL or NEC compliant. Thanks for the comments.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

www.sunelec.com

3.68 watt for Evergreen seconds, UL approved
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Link this thread to a test report posted here:

Test Report on Solar Cynergy 80 watt PV

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

I don't mind posting links, but I would point out that we are selling the high power Kyocera "Firsts" for 50 cents a watt less in pallet quantities..
    http://store.solar-electric.com/ky205wasopaf.html

The KD180, KD205, and KD210 are all $3.23 a watt.

And the new Evergreen ESA are 3.75 per watt 10+l or 3.68 in pallet http://store.solar-electric.com/ev180wasopa.html

www.sunelec.com

3.68 watt for Evergreen seconds, UL approved
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

That was 7 weeks ago ... $2.98 now for "A" grade Evergreens
  • System2

Doesnt matter if they are not UL listed - they have a CE stamp. UL is just a private company that puts their stamp on it. If you are not tying into the grid, doesnt really matter. A small 6 amp panel wont burn your house down. :D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

While I agree that Ul listing is not needed for some application UL listing assures a relative level of safety as demonstrated before a recognized testing lab (UL). CE "listing" only denotes that a product is acceptable for shipment into the EU. I think it has more to do with free trade/customs/duty issues than Safety. I believe there are multiple levels of CE designation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

I'm sure that someone more familiar with the issue can chime in.

Tony
  • System2

We have been selling Solar Cynergy panels on solarblvd.com for about 6 years now. We dont get any complaints about them - there have been about 5 returns because of low output in the past 6 years but those are just normal complaints that can happen with any manufacturer. We always send out a replacement if there is a return and the customer is always happy with the replacement. Overall I would say Solar Cynergy is a good brand to work with.
  • BB.

Just as an FYI--CE marks are self declared (somebody from the company writes on stationary that the product complies to a one or more requirements. CE marks are worth the paper they are printed on.

UL/ETL/TUV/etc/NRTL's are independent organizations that both check first articles with non-destructive and destructive tests to acertain whether or not the product complies with the regulatory requirements--and they conduct an onsite inspection program at the site of manufacturing that the product in question continues to meet the requirements (and ensure that traceability is maintained all along the supply chain).

The two (CE vs NRTL) are no way similar in their requirements or regarding legal/satutory standings.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

tarobhasin and charliesolar have been banned for sock-puppetting...

Take their observations and recommendations with a grain of salt.

-Bill
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Nice catch Bill,

If you go to their site, I think it is a shell dba. In the "about us" section there is no names no, address no contact info. Doesn't mean they are not on the up and up, but probably not someone I would be willing to trade with.

Tony

PS I never heard of Sock puppetting! I had to read the Wiki to figure it out. Question is,, were they the same guy?
  • BB.

Same IP address (not a known proxy IP), different email addresses. I don't publish email addresses (from the Mod Screen) ever.

I don't know if they used the same PC / User typing the three total messages... But when a cold thread receives two hits from the same IP address about the same product pushing two different points on why to buy this brand of panels--the two ID's probably, at least, know each other.

-Bill