Skystream Clone?

BillF
BillF Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭
I missed this one at the AWEA conference. I just received an e-mail from "Hopeful Energy". Looks like there is a possible clone of the Skytream. It's from China, from a company formed in 2003. They offer a 5 year warranty on this downwind model they rate at 5kW output @ 12m/s with a 4.1m rotor. I wonder if the NREL has tested it?

www.hopefulenergy.com/e/new.asp?id=35

Does anyone know anything about it or remember seeing it in Chicago?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Skystream Clone?

swwp is now affiliated with a chinese company and this may be the same one you are referring to. i don't remember the name of it, but i'm sure it was placed on the forum somewhere and i'll give you odds where that is.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

This appears to be the Chinese Mfg. of the Skystream + SS Clone
    http://www.air-yunsheng.com/en/products_list.asp?id=25

Scroll down to see country of origin on this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=366859

Beyond that, I have no more comments on SWWP. People need to do their own due diligence. I just felt this last thing needed to be posted.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

appears to possibly be separate companies. maybe they are now ripping off swwp like swwp was ripping off its customers?
  • BillF
    BillF Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭

Here is a snip from the e-mail:

The Airforce 4.1 model is independently-tested CE-certified, utilities gearless,
    direct drive architecture, unique permanent magnet generator, and integrated
    SMA inverter to provide best-in-class wind energy capture. Also, the Airforce
    4.1 requires minimum maintenance, carries industry standard 5-yr warranty

They included a pdf brochure of the unit. It is no surprise that a Chinese company is copying, if at least partially, the SS3.7 design. It seems there are numerous Bergey XL1, AIR303/403 and Whisper 100/200 clones out there now. At least with this turbine the inverter is a SMA ground mounted product.
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

LOL!!!!!!!:p

That absolutely is a copy of the Skystream. Basically, it's the Skystream minus the hatch cover and different blades. Even the yaw cover is the same. But I doubt SWWP authorized this copy. Serves them right. You know what they say: You lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. You do business with China, they copy your product and sell it themselves.

I love the name: "Hopeful Energy". Boy, they got that right! ;)
  • BB.

And they may have even improved on the old SS... They are using an off-the-self wind GT inverter on the ground. Cloned and pwned.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Truth Squad

You can also bet the price will be much lower than Skystream. They'll probably go after SWWP's current customers, as well as their hoped-for accounts. And, indeed, they got it right as far as using an off-shelf inverter and putting in on the ground. However, before Hopeful Energy can compete, they have to get their turbine UL listed to sell it here for grid tie.
  • BB.

UL / NRTL should not be a big issue for Hopeful if this factory produces other product for sale in the US--They probably already have the basic infrastructure...

-Bill
  • Truth Squad

It will be interesting to watch this one. That they chose an off-the-shelf inverter tells me they've done some research, if you know what I mean.;)