T.o.p.r.a.y Solar Charger--Any reviews?

Options
emo69
emo69 Registered Users Posts: 9
Has anyone had any experience with a TPS-535 10A Solar Charge regulator from T.o.p.r.a.y? 8)

Comments

• emo69
    emo69 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options
    T.p.r.a.y Solar Charger--Any reviews?

Is there a list of the Mfg’s of controllers and inverters that we should avoid? It would be nice if someone would make a report or list of best (poor mans controller or inverter) listing things such as basic features, price, value, ect) I don’t care about the hype of brand name. Most of them are probably made in China anyway. I was thinking about putting a small system together but don’t have the $1000 to spend on an itch. I think I can make something for under $1000. I don’t want to get sucked into the over priced hype that’s going on right now, and be stuck with junk. I’m looking for the basic diamond in the rough right now. I will probably just run a pond pump anyway that’s only 400W. I’m not sure it would even worth while. Anybody got any advice or stories to tell?

I have been on Ebay and noticed a lot of good prices on charger/controller, and cells but not inverters or batteries. Seems like the inverter and the batteries will be the most expense. I found a controller for cheep, the TPS-535 10A Solar Charge regulator from T.o.p.r.a.y? ANYONE KNOW OF THIS COMPANY?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Geeting more AC outta' DC

Read all you can,,
    There seem to be a ton of crappy Charge controllers out there. I would stick with what brands NWAS sells,, with a few additions. I think the Rouge MPPT controller is a quality controller that is sold by the builder directly. Names that you see to avoid at all costs ar BZ controllers.

The long and short of it is you sort of get what you pay for. There are also lots of cheap modified sine wave inverters out there. Once again I would stick with name brands that NAWS sells.

Do your homework and avoid "ready, fire, aim.

Good luck,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Geeting more AC outta' DC

emo69 - You are asking the right questions. And before you spend your money! :D

I can only give some general info. First off, 400 Watts isn't 'only'; my standard power draw for my cabin is less than that, and only goes over when the water pump is on or the 'frige goes into defrost. You may find your biggest challenge is getting good dollar value in panels; cheap ones are usually either no good or at least low in power. You will run into similar difficulties with batteries, charge controllers, and even inverters.

Can you put something together for under $1000? Yes. Will it do what you want? Probably not, unless what you want is to learn. Don't expect serious power output in that range.

You may want to skip the inverter altogether and assemble a 12 V only solar set-up. Always figure out what you're trying to do before you start trying to do it.

I looked at Topray's website. Definitely Chinese. Is it any good? I do not know. There's too much impetus to make jokes about "you have To pray to get it to work".

Have you looked at this forum's host's web site? It can give you lots of info about mainstream equipment and prices, so you'll be better able to judge the value of anything else you find out there.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Topray Solar Charger--Any reviews?

Emo,

Please feel free to start a new thread on a new subject.

We try to keep to the Original Poster's comment/questions to keep things from getting too crazy.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

What is it that you want/need? Is this a project to learn from, or you need reliable power from it?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Topray Solar Charger--Any reviews?

That controller is like the one used in the Harbor Freight kit. With that said, I would look elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.