whole house monitoring

2»

Comments

• AlphaRat
    AlphaRat Registered Users Posts: 14
    Re: whole house monitoring

I know this is an old post, but since it is TED related, figured I'd post here. I got a TED5000 and can't get the blasted thing to work. I have a MAC and when I try to go to the http://TED5000 website to pick up the gateway, it does not recognize the unit. I tried plugging the gateway straight to the MAC via ethernet cable and still doesn't work. Any suggestions (I already called AT&T - who has my wireless router) and also TED.....
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Found this info at:
    http://blog.mapawatt.com/2009/07/02/ted-5000-installed/
    Is the green LED on the MTU blinking showing it is transmitting data? If not, there is a problem with the install in the power panel.

Is the green LED on the right side of the Gateway blinking showing it is receiving data? It will blink green and orange 4-5 times when first plugged in and then then it should blink green every few seconds showing it is receiving data from the MTU. If the Gateway is not blinking then it has no information to send to the hand-held display or the Footprints software.

Check out this YouTube video on how to install the MTU. It is for the TED 1000, but it gives a great explanation of the A and B phase of your power panel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcvvJPX46M

For the TED 5000, the black wire of the MTU goes to one phase of the panel and the red wire goes to the other phase so that there is one wire on the A phase and one on the B phase. I assume this is to give greater reliability so matter which circuit you use for the Gateway.

Finally, try adjusting some transmit settings in the system setup.

I had to experiment for the first few days, but now it is rock solid
  • AlphaRat

I am on two phases, lights are blinking on the MTU and the gateway. However, when I type in http://TED5000, I just get a message that it can't find the server..... I have the gateway plugged into a 2Wire wireless router that was provided by AT&T when I got set up w/ them on cable..... It provides my wireless network. AT&T claims that the router should not have any problems w/ the gateway and that it should configure ok, but I have no clue as to how to access the gateway.....
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Unless I'm missing something, you are going to need to type in the IP that your router gave the TED, not "TED5000". The only way "TED5000" would work is if a DNS entry was made in your ISP's DNS system when you plugged in your TED. And that's not the way it works! (Your browser is trying to look up the IP by going to its DNS servers and asking "what IP belongs to "TED5000"?" The servers are responding with "don't know that one".)

My router has a page I can look at that tells me all the assigned IPs, from which I could figure out what was given to the TED. Otherwise, you could look to see what IP your Mac has and try one up or one down from there - most routers give the numbers out sequentially.
  • AlphaRat

Yep, did that. I tried every IP address on the router. They all came back with a "duh, can't find that....."
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    AlphaRat wrote: »
    Yep, did that. I tried every IP address on the router. They all came back with a "duh, can't find that....."

Okay, that assumes that the device is getting its IP address via DHCP from the router. Is it?

Here's a couple of quicky troubleshooting tests you can run:

Ping your broadcast address.
    (On most routers that use 192.168., the network address is .0, the default gateway is .1 and the broadcast is .255.)

This should get you a reply from every active address on that subnet.

*After you've done that, but within 30 seconds so the cache doesn't time out *

at the command line do this:

arp -a

This should show you all the machines on your subnet which your machine has recently communicated with (again, the info is only cached for 30 seconds by default on most systems).
  • n3qik

Should add the ping broadcast is for Mac only, did not work on a windows machine.

The arp -a did work on both.
  • dwh
    n3qik wrote: »
    Should add the ping broadcast is for Mac only, did not work on a windows machine.

The arp -a did work on both.

Should work on Windows. I'm in Linux at the moment so I'll have to check it out next time I'm running Windows. Do you have Windows firewall service running? (Just curious - I always turn it off myself.)

EDIT: Also, just noticed I goofed in my OP - said bcast was usually .254, when actually I should have said .255 - fixed in OP.

EDIT2: Welp, I got curious so I loaded up Windows...and you're right. I completely forgot that Windows machines don't *reply* to pings to the broadcast address - and thus don't *do* pings to the broadcast address. @$*#Y#@ Microsoft.

(I forget things sometimes...too many operating systems, not enough time.)
  • n3qik

Just tried 192.168.1.255 and it pings the local IP only. If you ping 192.168.1.254 then it will start pinging all of the subnet. Any "No Route to Host" would mean a device is at that address.

If you look at my console screen shot:
    The router is first, the the MAC is at the 13th ping= 192.168.1.13.

AlphaRat, sorry we are getting off topic.
  • dwh
    n3qik wrote: »
    Just tried 192.168.1.255 and it pings the local IP only. If you ping 192.168.1.254 then it will start pinging all of the subnet. Any "No Route to Host" would mean a device is at that address.

If you look at my console screen shot:
    The router is first, the the MAC is at the 13th ping= 192.168.1.13.

AlphaRat, sorry we are getting off topic.

That's odd. If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then your Network address will be .0 and your broadcast address should be .255.

http://www.linktionary.com/b/broadcast_address.html

"On IP networks, the IP address 255.255.255.255 (in binary, all 1s) is the general broadcast address. You can't use this address to broadcast a message to every user on the Internet because routers block it, so all you end up doing is broadcasting it to all hosts on your own network. The broadcast address for a specific network includes all 1s in the host portion of the IP address.

For example, on the class C network 192.168.1.0, the last byte indicates the host address (a 0 in this position doesn't refer to any host, but provides a way to refer to the entire network). The value 255 in this position fills it with all 1s, which indicates the network broadcast address, so packets sent to 192.168.1.255 are sent to all hosts on the network."

That's per RFC 919:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc919.html

I totally forgot about 255.255.255.255 - you might try pinging that.
  • AlphaRat

I have no idea how this stuff works or anything whatsoever about IP addresses, how to ping, etc., etc..... I do know however, that this freaking TED5000 is unrecognizable at this point and the TED guys can't figure out either how to make it work..... I am about to box it up and send it back and find something that REALLY DOES work w/ a Mac as they advertise.....