Sunny Boy monitoring

FL SUN
FL SUN Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭
Just commissioned a Sunny Boy 6000U, and am looking at monitoring this system's production online.

Seems it requires an RS485 card and the Sunny Webbox, adding an additional $800.00 just for monitoring. This does not seem cost effective to me.

Are there any lower cost alternatives available for online monitoring using this inverter? I am not a computer programmer, so I may need to get some replies "dumbed down" while I'm learning this.

Is it true that the Xantrex GT inverters already come with the monitoring ports, and firmware so no more "accessories" are needed?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Sunny Boy monitoring

The lowest cost is an RS232 card and using the free sunnydata software ... but yes ANY data logging on SMA inverters is add ons, about 300 bucks when I had it in 2002

And Yes, The Xantrex GT inverters come with RS232 included and GT/SG-View software is also free and more feature rich than the SunnyData offering
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

There's also the Solarlog product which is compatible with a number of inverters, but it's not much cheaper: http://shop.fotovoltaikshop.de/nav_4_87_nav_data-logger-and-displays_solarlog.html?language=en
  • FL SUN
    FL SUN Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭
    The lowest cost is an RS232 card and using the free sunnydata software ... but yes ANY data logging on SMA inverters is add ons, about 300 bucks when I had it in 2002

And Yes, The Xantrex GT inverters come with RS232 included and GT/SG-View software is also free and more feature rich than the SunnyData offering

Any links to the RS232 card? I'm getting up to speed on the Sunnydata software, but I have a lot of basics to learn yet on this 485 to 232 stuff and settings and whatnot.

I'll be using a Xantrex 5.0 GT on my next project, so this won't be so difficult next time.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Ted 5000 http://www.theenergydetective.com/store

Vern
  • mnittler
    mnittler Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Vern2 wrote: »

I agree with Vern2. www.TheEnergyDetective.com Model 5000 with at least 2 each MTU's. One for main panel and one for renewable panel/load. If you can connect the TED gateway to an ethernet switch port then don't bother with the optional display. Computer is better for the display and the data is stored on the TED gateway anyway. The TED 5000 also works with igoogle.com PowerMeter. (If the igoogle.com powermeter option is not on the 5000 you get then download and load the newest gateway firmware and presto there it is. Whenever you sign onto igoogle.com remotely (no matter where you are) then your home energy usage is displayed on the igoogle home page if that feature is turned on in the TED gateway. Of course you need internet at your RE location. The TED RTU's communicate back to the TED gateway thru the electrical power wires so no new wires to run. The TED gateway and the TED RTU's need to be connected to the same leg or they won't communicate. The gateway also need to be connected to an ethernet cable. Do not put the TED on a UPS because that would isolate it from the power line and communication will be lost with the RTU.
    19.76kw Solar/GT Enphase IQ7+ MicroInverters
     5.40kw Solar/GT ABB/Aurora 300 MicroInverters (AC coupled to Schneider/Xantrex XW6048 output)
     6.00kw Solar/Hybrid Xantrex XW6048 Inverter w/2 strings Trojan L-16E-AC Batteries (48VDC)
    18kw Kohler Propane Generator

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A company that I install for as a subcontractor makes their own monitoring equipment that works with a wifi connection and has a web based application for getting the info.

They are planning to sell it outside of their market area (SoCal), but haven't started selling yet. They just use it on their own sales.

If you're interested PM me and ask them if they're interested and then I'll get back to you.

- Jay
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    FL SUN wrote: »
    Just commissioned a Sunny Boy 6000U, and am looking at monitoring this system's production online.

Seems it requires an RS485 card and the Sunny Webbox, adding an additional $800.00 just for monitoring. This does not seem cost effective to me.

Are there any lower cost alternatives available for online monitoring using this inverter? I am not a computer programmer, so I may need to get some replies "dumbed down" while I'm learning this.

I'm wrapping up adding SMA support to my company's product. You'd need the RS-232 daughter board and a PC, though we also make very low power embedded systems that can monitor the inverter and produce a wealth of data.

My demo system is down at the moment for a commercial project I'm working on, but normally you can view an OutBack system that's running the same software by following the links in my signature.
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

I just started up monitoring for my Sunny Boy 7000 inverter - it's here: http://welserver.com/WEL0043/ .

My monitoring doesn't require purchase of SMA's RS485 interface card, doesn't require subscription payments, makes data additionally available at any remote Internet connection, and keeps a minute-by-minute data log on a central repository available to download at any time. See WEL for details.

The monitoring capability I'm using is still going to cost about $800 once you factor in the power monitoring pieces, availability at any Internet location, logging, etc. If you have other things to monitor and/or count, such as temperatures, flows, run-times, etc., then it gets to be particularly cost effective.

And while the system I'm using can easily accommodate monitoring DC values too (current, voltage, power), I would need to go to additional expense to do so.

For just getting power consumed TED is pretty cost effective, especially noting it's interface to Google's power monitoring application, which provides availability at any Internet location too.

Best regards,

Bill