Where to place the Charge Controller?

Options
roks
roks Solar Expert Posts: 28
Just wondering whats the better way the wire up the controller. The panels will be on the roof. The batteries located on the ground floor, the drop is about 40ft or so.

Do I keep the charge controller near the panels and run the cables to the batteries or keep the CC near the batteries and run the long cable fron the combiner box to the CC?

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Where to place the Charge Controller?

Always keep the charge controller right next to the batteries...

1. Voltage drop between battery and controller will increase voltage errors (cause battery to charge much slower).
    2. For controllers without Remote Battery Temperature Sensor--the controller needs to be near the battery to measure approximately the same temperature for temp. compensation to work correctly.
    3. For MPPT type controllers--the panels run at higher voltage/lower current for to allow lower power losses / smaller AWG cable. The controller to battery connect is lower voltage and higher current--may require heavier / shorter cable to keep losses down (depends on solar panel series/parallel configuration for your system).
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

The CC normally goes near to the inverter and batteries. Where monitoring and adjustments are easier Many integrated systems like Outback and Xantrex XW system are networked and there integration hardware puts the CC next to the Inverters
  • roks
    Options

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Is a PWM CC, so I'll keep it near the battery and run a long cable one size bigger than the max current of all panels combined.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    roks wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Is a PWM CC, so I'll keep it near the battery and run a long cable one size bigger than the max current of all panels combined.

hmm. what size would that be and how did you come to determine that size?
  • roks
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    hmm. what size would that be and how did you come to determine that size?
    Well, I havn't determined it yet but with help from you guys I think this is it:

6x 130w pv panels, 35v, 3.81A (43v max, 4.28A max) in parallel.

Pv panels to combiner box = 4.28*1.25=5.35A - nearest wire #14
    Combi box to CC = 6*4.28*1.25=32.1A - nearest wire #6

I guess one would use the same gauge wire from the CC to the batteries?

Now, the 1500va, 24v pure sine inverter/charger is sourced locally, comes with 2*150Ah batteries and states that charge time is 12hrs. So the charge current about 12.5Amps?

My plan was to add another 2*150Ah as the pv panel will provide about 22Amps during the day (winter 4-5hrs, other times 6-8hrs sun).

My only concern is that the CC is PWM, 4 stage charger, but I dont know how the built in charger works, nothing in the manual. So I guess its bog standard 2 stage, quick charge then trickle charge. Will they work together, if at all?

I might need a bit of help to work out the wire size for inverter to battery and connections beteen batteries.

Thanks

P.S. Have I done the voltage drop correctly?
  • niel
    Options

roks,
    i can see it is not being done correctly, but it may be easier for you to give more info and i'll do it. first of all just what make and model pvs do you plan on here? in doing the calculations there are 2 things right off the bat that are wrong and they are 1> the pv voltage is for nominal operation voltage and not vmp and 2> the run lengths will be far too short to be of real value.
    on point 1> a 35v vmp pv will be a nominal 24v pv as it coincides well with a 24v battery.
    on point 2> a wire run is half the length of the entire wire length that would be entered on the calculator because there are 2 wires involved that go that distance. if the pvs are side by side the end pvs have much farther to go than what you indicate, but i may be wrong on that account as i have no picture of how the arrangement of the pvs will be in my head. i find it very difficult to believe you could send power from each of these pvs in such a short run of wire when in parallel to go to the combiner. the shortest you list is a 3ft length making the max run distance 1.5ft because the run involves 2 wires. maybe you are overlooking the fact there are 2 wires in the space between the pvs so if 2 junctions are 2 be say 3ft apart then the total wire length would be 3ft of + and 3ft of - for a total of 6ft of wire.
    each string or in your case each paralleled pv should be looked at seperately as how it will look. i know i'm probably confusing you somewhat on this, but you can consider each pv as an individual circuit that is later paralleled and each circuit can operate independant of the others, however, each share wiring and that wiring is to be determined.
    ok 3 things as you do not need to multiply this by 1.25 as this is being based strictly on realtime voltage drops and not fuse ratings.
    just give me more details and we'll tweak it from there.
  • roks
    Options

Hi Neil,

I have attached the pv specs, they are no name grade B from a Chinese factory. I have tried to draw the layout of the pv panels with the new wiring topology, initially it was going to be wired in a star topology. Not sure if I should place couple facing the other way in a A shape so it captures the sun in the late afternoon?

The drop from the combi box is about 40ft to the CC, so I guess I should have doubled the figures I have entered? I’ll wait for your work out before I confuse myself further.

To work out the Charge controller, would I use the Vpmax and Ipmax OR the nominal voltage Ipmax?

Thanks for your time.
  • niel
    Options

ok, what i see in the diagram is a daisy chain and that complicates things somewhat. what i thought you were going to do was run each pv's output straight to the combiner box. in a daisy chain the current from pv1 to pv2 gets added to the current when going from pv2 to pv3. this continues to add more current for each section of the daisy chain so unless you use thicker wires as you go down the line this can be a problem. the calculator does not do daisy chains on the pvs unless you account for the current increases down the line.
    so before we go on here, is it your desire to use the daisy chain? if so you won't need the combiner. i would need the wire run distances between each set of pvs in that case.
    the nominal voltage for a 35vmp pv is 24v and you will want to use 24v and the ipmax or imp for the current. so in the calculator it is a 24v pv voltage and 24v battery voltage.
  • roks
    Options

Hi Neil,

Yes, I can see there might be issues with the junction box terminals and large wires, so back to 'star' wiring and combi box.
    And I think I got the hang of the voltage drop calculator……

As for the standard charger and the pwm charge controller, do you think they will work together?

Thanks.
  • niel
    Options

i think it's looking better, but i still have difficulty believing that all 6 pvs are within 3.5ft of the combiner. i might believe this of 3or 4 pvs maximally, but not 6.
    as you can see by the calculator the high currents going through the thicker wire has a greater voltage drop because of the distances involved. if you can't shorten the distance then thicker wire should be used for that run to bring those %s in line. i spec'ed a 3% figure, but others like outback spec even lower figures at 2%.
    in the calculator you don't need all of the pvs added together as each is its own run circuit so to speak and they don't need all of their voltage drops added together then until they are shared in a common wiring (talking parallel pvs here). i did not design the calculator for xls., but i gave the pertinent info needed for the calcs as the calculator was a joint effort.
  • roks
    Options

Neil,

Thanks for your help, I have a fairly good starting point now.

I am not on site, so cable runs are just a rough guess. To reduce lenght I'll drill through the parapet wall rather than trace the cables along.
  • niel
    Options

how much will that reduce the wire run to? also, you may add larger wires for the cc to battery and especially the battery to inverter as inverters can draw huge amounts of current creating large voltage drops, all of this in addition to your wire run shortening.
  • roks
    Options

Probably about 2.5ft per wire.

Also how do I work out the correct size wire betweet the inverter and battery?
  • niel
    Options

that 5ft of wire total will only save you about a quarter of a percent and i'll recommend that you run the next gauge of #4 as this drops the 70ft length of wire's voltage drop to 1.66% or about a percentage point lower than the #6. it may be more expensive wire, but you don't want to cheapen the system's ability by using too small of wire. remember that pv power is expensive and voltage drops cost you some expensive power and not once, but all of the time. it may also be good to go with larger wires if you plan to expand in the future.

most inverters specify what they deem best for wire, but if you keep the runs around 5ft or less (rough guess) you can go by the normalized capacity the nec uses for 120/240vac wiring and you need to know the max current the inverter will draw. longer runs can be a problem with the extra length adding more of a voltage drop so i guess you can just figure it out with the calculator using the battery voltage also as the pv voltage plugging in the current needs and the wire gauge and length to obtain a vd percentage. keep it under 2% if using 3% for the max on the rest of the system so that from generated power source to the load (in this case the inverter) is no more than a 5% vd.