Evergreen UL listed?

I find conflicting information on evergreen es-a-205 modules. On tha factory spec sheet, they don't say "UL listed" (although they have multiple other listings) but several module venders say they are UL listed. The last thing I need is to find out the county inspector won't accept the installation because of the lack of the listing required by the code:confused:. Anyone know the "real" answer.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Evergreen UL listed?

ETL (and possibly TUV Rhienland would also apply to the US) is who lists their products (PDF download). You will not find a "UL" Listing (competing inspection companies):

Using ETL's lookup service:
    FLAT-PLATE PHOTOVOLTAIC MODULES & PANELS

EVERGREEN SOLAR, INC. - Marlborough, MA USA

Photovoltaic Modules, Model Nos. ES-A- followed by 190, 195, 200, 205, 210; followed by -fa2, Model Nos. ES- followed by 170, 180, 190, 195, 200; may be followed by 2/3 suffix combination -R, -S, -T, -V, -L.

In theory, that is enough (match Vendor Name and Model Number to ETL Listing)...

You can confirm with your local building department that this will be acceptable. In decades gone past, "UL" was the one and only name... Laws, treaties, companies, and customs have changed--so I would not expect a problem.

Have somebody take a digital picture of the panel label and confirm the Vendor Name, Model Number, and ETL Service Mark is present would tie it up with a nice bow (as far as the inspector should be concerned)--if somebody is shipping black/ray market panels--that is a real difficult problem to catch...

You can call Evergreen directly (and/or ask your installer/supplier to confirm) and verify the "supply chain" to your vendor (above and beyond the call of duty--but with the "stuff" that goes on these days it is not an unreasonable thought).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

PS: I should add from the Evergreen Data Sheet (not listed on the ETL database -- for me using Firefox at least?):
    This product is certified to UL 1703, UL 4703, UL Fire Safety Class C, IEC 61215 Ed.2, IEC 61730 Class A, FSEC and KTL standards. 2009.

Note, this is "certified/listed" to a "UL" standard--not by UL itself but by ETL which tested to the "standard" (which is perfectly normal).

This should be enough for your inspector to verify if this is enough, or if he needs "more" (should not need more).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Eric Ernst
    Eric Ernst Registered Users Posts: 16

Thanks Bill,

I saw that "certified to" statement and was sure that it didn't mean "listed" but wasn't sure what to make of it.

Our county uses a contractor to do their electrical inspections. I'm going to ask the county to let me have his number to confirm and give myself a better comfort level. I like the Evergreen panels and their price but will change over if the inspector is unsure or hesitant.

Thanks again for the info.

Eric
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

asking the inspector is your best option as he has the final word on what is acceptable to him.
  • raytech
    raytech Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    asking the inspector is your best option as he has the final word on what is acceptable to him.

or it could be up to her :blush:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

or it or space alien or whatever. semantics.:p
  • raytech
    raytech Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    or it or space alien or whatever. semantics.:p

schmantics :p

but my message was to short and the others took me. now i am a lost one
  • mountaintop
    mountaintop Registered Users Posts: 16

I have Evergreen panels. They are not UL listed but the way I understand it there UL rated. They were made in a plant that passed the test to make UL rated panels or something like that. It’s the same as when you need a one of a kind what ever built and it has to be UL rated you can get a UL rated shop to put it together for you. This is done a lot with motor controllers and panel boards for machines in large plants.