Grade B Solar Panels

roks
roks Solar Expert Posts: 28
Hi All,

I was wondering what the downside was to Grade B panels. I've been told their electrical specification are are same as grade A but with "cosmetic imparfections".

Is that correct or is there more to it than just cosmetic?

I am offered 0.8USD/watt if I buy 1000watts or more, 130Wp panels, from a company in Ningbo, China.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Grade B Solar Panels

80 cents a watt for what, some non-UL Asi china made off-grade panels with no means for getting warranty service? ( best case )

If its less than 2.30 watt, its not a real deal and likely to be a scam ... nobody is getting real panels for 80 cents a watt
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

But, to answer your original question:

As far as I know, B grade panels (such as the Evergreens) are the same as regards warranty, output and quality - they just aren't as perfectly pretty.

And if you check out Solar Guppy's forums, you'll see he likes them. :)
  • roks
    If its less than 2.30 watt, its not a real deal and likely to be a scam ... nobody is getting real panels for 80 cents a watt

They offered me $1.75/w for grade A.

Anyway, now that you mentioned the word SCAM, I'll try to get a friend of a friend to visit the place and buy and put the stuff on ship himself......rather than the company.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't think he meant that the shipping of it is a scam, but rather the product.
  • roks

They sent me a picture and says grade B only has some colour defects.

From your experienced eyes, what do you guys make of it. Would this effect the electrical performance?

Thanks
  • FL SUN
    FL SUN Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

Looks typical of a B grade panel. I use B grade Evergreens with no problem at all.

Make sure if you plan to use these in a grid tie or inspected application, that they will need to be UL listed. You are in the U.S.?

Make sure the tolerance is OK. Evergreen B's have the same great tolerance values as the A's. Plus they are made in USA.

I would feel leary about foreign made products, and power tolerances and warranty issues. You do get what you pay for.
  • roks

Hi FL SUN,

I will be using them in Bangladesh, so no UL, no inspections, its going to be used to help charge a bank of batteries when there is no mains. Just to try it out so only going to get 6 of 130Wp for a 24v system.
    MONO or POLY   	                MONO					
    Maximum power (Wp)  	130w					
    Maximum power voltage (V)  	35.47					
    Maximum power current (A)  	3.815					
    Open circuit voltage (V)  	43.432					
    Short circuit current (A) 	4.28 					
    Number of cells (Pcs) 	72PCS					
    Size of module (mm)  	1580*808*35mm				
    Maximum system voltage (V)   1000					
    Temperature Range  	-40℃C~+80℃C			
    Surface Maximum Load Cap     60m/s(200kg/sq.m)   			
    Weight per piece (kg)  	8					
    Junction Box Type  	                TUV certificate			
    Length of Cables (mm)  	 900mm				
    Frame                       	Aluminum					
    Standard Test Conditions 	AM 1.5,1000W/m2, 25℃					
    FF (%)  	     73%					

Thanks
  • FL SUN
    FL SUN Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the panel specs. What is the FF (%) 73% value? Just curious if that is the tolerance of (+-)73%? I am not fully in the know - especially metric specs.

Would be good to know if someone here can explain.
  • roks

I'm not sure what the tolorence is, I've sent an email to chap, will let you know.

EDIT: Got a reply, tolorence is +/- 5%.