I just finished my system

jeffkruse
jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
I just finished setting up my PV system and we are harvesting electrical energy from the sun.

Most of our power is made by burning oil here in Puerto Rico. Our electric rate is fairly high (not as high as the VI though). A few months ago I found out that there was a 75% tax incentive for solar power here. I immediately did some further research. I can’t speak Spanish so that made wading through all the government requirements difficult. To make a long story short about the government here (3rd world) I will have taken 4 days off from work to get all the required documents. I hope to be done with the process tomorrow. But I am still not sure if I will get the 75% (we are on a waiting list for the money).

It’s been fun and I did all the design work and installation. Boy did that take a long time. Being my first time and learning all I could I went really slow but I figured how hard could it be to hook up a couple wires from the panels to the charge controller then a couple of wires from the charge controller to the inverter, then a couple more to the batteries, and a few more to the house?

Our off grid system is 10 Evergreen 205W fa2b panels, XW MMPT, Xantrex 4548 inverter, and 8 370AH Deka batteries.

We don’t use much power but I sure hope I sized my system right. I’ll find out in the next few weeks.

Comments welcome

Some pictures can be found on our blog http://thekrusechronicles.blogspot.com/

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I just finished my system

i'm glad you finally got things together, but.................
    puerto rico is a self-governing unincorporated territory of the United States
    and can't be called a 3rd world country. as such, they should've had things in english too.
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    and can't be called a 3rd world country. as such, they should've had things in english too.

Niel:

Thanks for the political explanation. Nevertheless, Jeff is more or less right: we still behave as a third world country!

Jeff:

Bad news: If you designed and installed the system yourself, you will not get back a penny. The 75% tax credit applies only if the system is designed and installed by a certified company.

[Obviously, I am puertorican.]
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job Jeff & Jessica!
    Been there and lived there! Definately third world! The land of paradox we used to say!

I have had clients audited (offgrid) and as long as you have reciepts and physical proof of the install you are good with the Federal deduction. The territory or state/utility is iffy but you should try for it. The worst that can happen is an audit and penalties if it does not go your way. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

No cheating on decompression stops! Enjoy it!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jeffkruse

I just drove around the island (5 hours of driving). I made my stops at AAE and Hacienda. My paperwork is submitted and I should be receiving my tax credits in the mail.

I still don't know if I get the 75% or 50%. The people at Hacienda who deal with the tax credits didnt speak english very well and even if they did I don't think they would have told me what I was getting. I don't think they even know. :confused:

My system was "designed" and "installed" by a certified installer (my friend just got his cert and I was his "first" install)

Niel, you deal with Hacienda, CRIM, or any government office here and then tell me they are not "Third world" :p

Dave, you mention Federal deduction? I know if your in the states this applies but I dont pay Federal Taxes while I live here. Is there some way I can get the Federal benifit on top of my PR tax credit?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

just for the record, with the exception of them speaking english here, i can say that of my local government and my state as well as they all seem too distant from those they are supposed to serve. this is as far as this will go because i don't want to get a political discussion going.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Roger that Neil !

Jeff, I would think you would have to file a federal return and you might have to have income to get the federal credit. I would not want to fool around with the Feds!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jeffkruse

I am not trying to fool around with getting more than what is legal.

I just wish I knew I could get the 75% tax credit sooner. Just 3 or 4 weeks sooner and I would have been assured to get the 75%.

Dave, what makes you think I am cheating on my decompression stops? Only a minute here and there ;)
  • retrodog
    retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »

Alaska is a third world country. It just happens to be one that we own.

Sorry, just a flashback to On Deadly Ground, when they wanted to send mercenaries in to track down Steven Seagull. :D

To the OP. Great site. Beautiful pictures and that's a nice brace/mount for the panels. I'll forward the link to one of my motorcycle riding buddies. He's from Puerto Rico and gets homesick. He'll get a kick out of it.