Help for beginners pls

DrChatNuff
DrChatNuff Solar Expert Posts: 25
Hi
A friend and i have [16] 200watt kyocera panels, an outback vfx3048 inverter, we intend installing a system in Lagos Nigeria, my initial thought was to wire five strings of three panels each in series, as the temp in Nigeria is always high , we never get below say 16degree even at dawn, i think it best wiring and getting about 75volts per string and having amx80 bringing it down to the inverter voltage, can anyone advise

Comments

• DrChatNuff
    Wiring strings

Hi guys'
    can anyone advise with regards to panel wiring strings
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Re: Help for beginners pls

Could you be more specific about what you are doing and what advice you wish. Is this battery based, or grid tied... or??? As for the temps, I am assuming that's in Celsius? Give a few more details and I am sure you'll get some good advice...
    Good Luck
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Re: Wiring strings

Yes, but need more information:

1. Grid tied only or batteries involved with a charge controller, and what make/model charge controller if used.

2. Type of inverter

3. Make/model panels....the exact info off the data plate would help.
  • DrChatNuff

[16] 200 watt kyocera panels, outback 3048 inverter to be installed in Nigeria
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

by what i gather it is a 48v battery system being driven by these pvs with no reference to the capacity you have at 48v. btw, the charge rate for most fla batteries will be in the 5-13% range.
    in general it should fly, but the specifics can get you like wire size and distance or combiners and breaker sizes. most can figure some of these aspects out quite fine.

btw hillbilly that is most likely a reference there to a flexmax 80.
  • niel

this thread is nearly a duplicate to your other thread seen here,
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=32573#post32573
    so i will merge them.
    please only do this once as duplications won't get you a faster or more varied answer.
  • DrChatNuff

Hi
    thanks for your replies, its to be a more or less a 'hybrid' system as the 'Electric from the state is so bad, it will serve as 'back-up. while i'll run the system on batteries
  • niel

very good on the back ups to the grid, but with that many pvs are you expecting long term outages? most will have enough battery capacity to last 2-3 days charged from the grid and still not exceed 50% dod. if your loads are so big that the battery bank will need to be huge enough to prevent affording that many batteries then conservation needs to be implemented to conserve on usages and in this case the pvs can make up that difference even for short term. it all depends on how the poweer consumption is and your best economic path with equipment to determine if you'll lean heavier to more pvs or more batteries.
  • DrChatNuff

The Electric supply is terrible, the panels exist so i just need to use them , you are right about me asking this question awhile ago but this past 11 months i'd been a guest at 'her majesty's pleasure' [as they say in Britain'], Going through the last advise you gave my biggest problem is although i can wire 3 or 4 strings of 3panels in series , how to then parrallel them up, the ccontroller is flex 80 ,
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

IF you would respond to the questions asked, you are more likely to get an answer to your question......for example, it took you 3 more responses to find out your charge controler is a Flexmax 80.....which has a voltage limit of 150v input.

Now, once again...WHAT is the panel voltage.....look on the data tag for Voc or Vmp.....or spec the EXACT model of the panel you are looking at....

Exact answers ( "how many panels in a string" ) require exact information on your part.
  • DrChatNuff

Sorry for the delay, i'm in Europe [time difference] the panels are kyocera 200watt

maximum voltage 26.3v
    maximum open current 7.61
    short circuit current 8.21
    open circuit voltage 32.9v

three panels in series per string
  • niel

tnandy,
    for the kc-200gt it is 26.3v vmp, 32.9v voc, and 7.61a imp as a simple search of kyocera revealed. as to the flex 80 he did state so in the beginning, but typoed it somewhat.

drchatnuff,
    yes, 3 or 4 can be series (4 seriesed works out well for 16 pvs as it will be a 4x4 arrangement) and each string will need to be sized for the wire run and thus the proper size wire to carry the loads for each string. now this is where i am at a loss to know what connector type is on the module (mc?), but you don't want to cut off the connectors that are on the pvs as that could void the warranty. you will need to buy connectors with wire pigtails to make connections to whatever wire you elect to use. if more than 2 strings of pvs are to tie together (you will have 4) then these will need to be fused and combined in a combiner box.
    here's some examples of combiners,
    http://store.solar-electric.com/sopawiinco.html
    from the combiner box a larger size wire needs to take the pv power down to your controller.
    hope this has helped you some.
  • DrChatNuff

The lowerest temp we get even by 8am is 20 degree c, the connectors are mc 3
  • DrChatNuff

you've been very helpful , i'm grateful
  • niel

good and i'm glad i'm helping. now as to the mc3 connectors you can see them on this page from naws' store,
    http://store.solar-electric.com/incaforsoelp.html
    what you do is buy the wire with the connectors on it (1 male and 1 female) and cut the wire in half for the runs to the combiner. this makes a complete + and - connection with a splice to wire that you can get cheaper than the full length of mc cable. you of course can buy the length of mc connectored wire you need if you wish.
    for the interconnections between the pvs, because it's in series, you simply buy the right length to interconnect each pv with the mc connections. you may wish to come up with some protective covering for these connectors with electrical tape at the minimum of that effort.
  • DrChatNuff

I fully understand what you've said. considering you said four panels in series is ok you dont think the voltage might be too high
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

I would say 4 in series in your climate would be ok, especially as you already have 16 panels, What batteries do you intend to use ?, you must use batteries with FX inverters,
    Do you intend to also use any other outback components ?, you will need a hub + a mate if you want the MX to talk to the FX, or just a mate to alter basic programing, A Flexnet \DC is also a good idea to keep your batteries in better charge condition. the also do a combiner/breaker box for the panels,
    Have a look at their website, http://outbackpower.com for a full list of their components see http://outbackpower.com/resources/documents/product_catalog/ and if you have tech questions the forum has some very knowledgeable people( I would add link to forums , but it may start to look like i am getting paid by them :blush: I am not , I just use their equipment :D)
    Have a good one
    Tim
  • DrChatNuff

Hi
    Yeah i intend using the Outback Flexware 500 pre-wired, i shall have to use locally sold batteries [ import from either china or south Africa the inverter is vfx3048[outback]
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

You only need flexware 250 for 1 inverter ?
    Have a good one
    Tim

PS, It may be worth checking how pre wired the 250 or 500 is with your supplier. I have seen quite a variation in what is so called "pre wired" May also be worth asking if they can (once you know what batteries you are getting) program it for you,
  • niel
    DrChatNuff wrote: »
    I fully understand what you've said. considering you said four panels in series is ok you dont think the voltage might be too high

you should be fine with 4 in series as this is straight from the outback specs on their website,
    150 VDC absolute maximum coldest conditions / 145 VDC start-up and operating maximum.
    with 32.9v voc per panel and that gives 131.6v for 4 in series which is greater than a 10v difference to the max start and operate voltage of 145v. if you went with 3 in series that would mean paralleling 5 of those strings for a total of 15 pvs leaving 1 pv unused.
  • DrChatNuff

I'M having 2 inverters as its being used in Africa, its just protection against if one breaks down, with regards to the programming, thanks for that.
  • DrChatNuff

grateful for that, as i was worried about voltage, now i'm assured, how much effect comes from installing them on a corrugated steel roof with such high temp,
    [30-37f] climate temp, eventhough there is a 8' gap for air in between
  • niel

that would depend on how much sunlight there is to actually hit the roof as most times the pvs will be taking the solar brunt of it all and in turn will be shading the roof. the air gap isn't there to allow the roof to cool so much as the pvs to cool.
  • DrChatNuff

Many thanks, i feel pretty cool and confident now