Seasonal storage of batteries

I am looking for any info regarding to seasonal storage (non-use) of batteries.

My setup is for an off-grid home in Maine that will only be used for the summer months of Late May-Early September.

The batteries will be located in an earth bermed insulated and vented container. They will probably stay above 32F.

The panels will still be on the roof.

Is there anything that is necessary to store the system?

Thanks

Island Mon

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Seasonal storage of batteries

Just a good charge controller to keep them float charged
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you may also want a good winter angle to allow the snow to slide off of the pvs easier and leave enough room at the bottom edge of the pvs to make sure accumulations plus that which slid doesn't build and keep the pvs covered.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Top up the water before you leave,, (assuming flooded batteries), and check it when you return. Consider NOT auto equalizing while you are gone,, and check the SG and EQ when you return.

Tony
  • Island Mon
    Island Mon Solar Expert Posts: 29

Do I need to disconnect the batteries from the inverter? No loads will be running for the months that the house is uninhabited.

I will make sure my controller is capable of float charging.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you have to,, but I pull all the breakers/fuses so that a little as possible is energized just for peace of mind. I keep the Panels and CC fuse/breaker on,,, everything else off.

I like to keep as much off as possible as well due to the possibility of lightning damage.

Tony