Managing and Monitoring over the Net

I am looking for solutions which allow you to monitor and manage power in real time, over the internet. Is there such a system?

Caps

Comments

• seeker
    seeker Registered Users Posts: 8
    Re: Managing and Monitoring over the Net

I've seen a couple devices here and there used to monitor consumption, but all have been fairly expensive for me. Last one was on a British site where there was a lot of testing activity sponsored by their power companies.

I began having 'difficulties' with my power company, so I felt the need to monitor what was going on. I rigged up a tiny webcam to a bracket overlooking my new digital power meter and fed it into my pc. The software takes snaps at intervals which I review every couple days, or as needed. The saved files are time and date-stamped.

Two problems arise... one, the meter doesn't show the reading continuously... it periodically updates itself with 8888888, then re-displays the new reading. Sometimes the pic is taken of the 888888, but since I'm not that time-sensitive, it hasn't bothered much. Next problem is, having to manually do all the collection and analysis work. But this isn't too bad, considering the cost of full automation.

Another idea I once considered is a remote-reading, digital clamp-on meter. Hook one up to your incoming power line and it transmits to your pc. Problems are, 1, having to expose power panel hot stuff while tests are in progress, and 2, need two, one for each power leg. Not cheap, either.

I did see one device that clamps on to a motor and registers motor run magnetically, but even kila-watt devices can show local, single-device stats.

I've contacted BSR, the guys that do wired-wireless home control, mostly controlling lights, cameras, etc remotely, even over the web, and asked them to look into this. What we are asking for is a natural addition to their product line. Haven't heard back from them yet.

As I re-find the info I've previously seen, I'll get it back here as a link.
    seeker

ps I just did a google-search for "how to monitor electrical power use" and I came up with a zillion hits. TED device with software is about 250, and there's a great blog about using the clamp=probes I mentioned above. Quite a smorgasbord of ideas. Maybe mr moderator can refresh us on placing such actual links here.

seeker
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

2X on the TED

http://www.theenergydetective.com/store/teds/ted1000.html

My TED at work:

http://71.230.234.210:9090/dashboard

It will take a second or two to load, running it off a netbook.
  • JeffreyDV
    JeffreyDV Registered Users Posts: 10

Ken,

How did you get the TED software to be seen over the net?
  • n3qik

The default FootPrints software has a built-in web server. Then you just need to forward port 9090 in your router to that computer.

If you are good with using XML, then look at this output:

http://71.230.234.210:9090/dashboarddata
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ken thats pretty impressive that you avergae 1./7kwh per day, not bad, how big is the housegold? (how many people)?

im looking forward to trying the new ted 5000
  • n3qik

Last year, when I ran off the battery more, it was at 1.0 KWHs daily average.

The house was built in 1965, it is 1100 sq. ft. and it's is just me and two cats.
  • AlphaRat
    AlphaRat Registered Users Posts: 14

This is interesting. So the TED data is your actual live data?? That is cool. My usage is a tad bit different than yours - up in the 2500 KwH range.... I will trade you.

Are you running a 5000 ??
  • n3qik
    AlphaRat wrote: »
    This is interesting. So the TED data is your actual live data?? That is cool. My usage is a tad bit different than yours - up in the 2500 KwH range.... I will trade you.

Are you running a 5000 ??

Yes it is the live stream from the TED to Footprints software on the server. I have the 1001.
  • AlphaRat
    AlphaRat Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone hooked up a TED5000 to a MAC?? I can't it to recognize the gateway......