Options
icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Interesting monitoring system??

Appears that it will download data from the utility (such as those using Smart Meters--discussion thread here) to Google for analysis and display (via the web).

Can also work/be integrated with other aftermarket (?) vendor products too.

Our utility (PG&E) is offering something similar with their system.

One google engineer saved 64% or $3,000 off of his yearly electric bill--with little change to his life style:

$3,000 * 1/.64 * 1/12 = $390 per month bill before "savings"

Hmmm...Sounds like a nice lifestyle.

64% off of my electric bill:

$6 * 0.36 = $2.16

I can save a whole $3.84 per month!!!---Except, that this is already the minimum meter/usage charge anyway for my utility.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I saw that as well, I just about fell over when our utility was listed. I contacted them and they said they are in trials with employees and took my email and said they would let me know when it becomes available. I am not holding my breath though...
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Gotta love consumer profiling.

Everyone raised a stink over DoubleClick's practices - but Google is far more invasive and hardly anyone bitches.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

the usage chart they showed bothers me. i don't think it should look like rectified ac, but more like squared off like steps.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Niel

Look at my usage from my TED.
    Click on the Graphs and Charts tab. Change the Select Resolution to Minute, then click the Previous button. Go back to 21:00 to 22:00 hours.

http://71.230.234.210:9090/dash

Edit: saved you some steps:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ken,
    your's looks proper as i see it squared off, but looking at the original video blown up it doesn't look right with items that should jump and fall more immediately as they show too much ramping. maybe it's just me and i'll not make a big deal of it.;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

At least with PG&E (northern California electric) residential "smart meters"--they report back in hourly chunks (once per hour. Business meters report back in 15 minute increments.

I don't know what the internal data set is (1hr/15min or finer details)--or if they are simply "smoothing the curves" in Google... It sort of looks like they have more resolution than 1 hr chunks.

:confused:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

The TED does logging in 1 second. I would bet BB is right, google logs in 15Min/1HR intervals, then you will see more ramping.

They did something like Google using the TED:

http://www.energycircle.com/ted_display.php