charger for Absolyte IIP 100A33 batteries

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I have a set of six Absolyte IIP 100A33, 1600 Amp/hour (12 volt output) batteries out at the lake (off grid) and use a generator to charge them for the time being. I run a small 1000 watt inverter off the batteries when not using the genset. I'm looking for advice on what type of charger is best suited for these batteries as I've been using automotive type chargers and actually have screwed a couple of them up. I know this is putting the cart before the horse but, no I do not have any solar panel system at this time to supplement charging. Any replies to type of charger/costs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, labe.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: charger for Absolyte IIP 100A33 batteries

You batteries may even be a little larger at 1820 AH (20 hour rate--your numbers are for 8 HR rate)...

As always, AGM's, you have to be very careful with them--they do not taking over charging well (and don't use normal flooded cell Equalizing methods either).

It is always a good idea to follow the Mfg. Recommendations (PDF Manual).

Basically, they recommend a 5% of the C100 rate (21 amps * 100 hours=) 2,100 AH * 5% = 105 amps of charging current maximum.

And at 77F:

2.28 VPC 2% or less depth of discharge (98% charged)
    2.33 VPC 3-5% DoD
    2.38 VPC >5% DoD

If you get a standard charger that does not have good Power Factor Correction (many battery chargers)--then your generator's capacity should at least:

14.28 volts (max charge voltage) * 105 amps * 1/50% (PFC derating) =3,000 watts

If you get a charger with PFC correctly, you could, in theory, run down to a 1,500 watt genset (PFC=1)--but the genset should probably be a bit larger (say at least 25% larger).

Also, any charger you get should have a remote battery temperature sensor too (especially if the charger is not next to the batteries).

Xantrex makes a TC-2 series (or should be shipping "soon")--there old TC series was very genset friendly.

Iota also makes very good chargers too... Don't know if they are PF Corrected. Don't think the have RBTS.

Sounds like you have a very nice battery set... It may be worth your while to at least put enough solar panels on it for maintenance charging...

From the manual ~1% per week maximum self discharge rate.

2,100 AH * 0.01 / 7 days per week = 3 AH per day

3 AH * 17 v panel * 1/4 hours of sun * 1/50% eff = 25 watt solar panel

So, for much of the year (assuming it is reasonably sunny)--a 25 watt panel + small charge controller would work nice for the times you cannot get out there with a genset.

-Bill

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a link that will send you in the right direction, http://www.staticpower.com/pdf/26_12.pdf

These are agm batteries made by Exide. The charging volatages and amperages are vary critical. Using an automotive charger is the absolute wrong way to do it. These seem to be very expensive batteries with good life expectancy and should be treated well.

From what I know about agms is that they will take a higher charge rate than flooded batteries. At a minimum you are going to need ~5- of ah capacity just to stay even. If you have 1600 ah you would then need ~80 amps at a minimum! (I assume that your total bank is 1600 ah,, not 6 X 1600 which would then be 9600 ah and the minimum charging would be ~450 amps!

Ideal float voltage is 2.25 per cell
    For other agms (I can't find a spec for this battery) buk/absorb voltage should be ~14.2-14.4volts (for 12 volt nom)

I'm having trouble finding any other specs for these.

Icarus
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Tony,

Bill have the right specs for those batteries. I have the same manual he posted in his reply. I have been using the 2.38vpc as a bulk voltage setting, and 2.22vpc as a float setting for my C60 cc and all has been well with my GNB Abs.IIP 100A19 cells. I have been using them 24/7 since about March to run my entire house.

So Labe you can follow Bill advice and those set points in the manual as it relates to DOD to charging voltage and current and you will be OK. That particular manual was a revision for application to PV and it associated equipment.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hey Icarus, get out your map and look just to the east and you will find a lake named the same as you just east of Northern Light. Just across the roadway you will find Shaco Lake. That is my location although I'm at home in Thunder Bay on the computer.

Thanks for the answers guys. Although I must admit your are giving me too much technical detail for my present knowledge. Too many other things on the go and not enough time to learn more about this topic. If anyone can narrow down a specific charger (layman's terms) that might be suitable it would be appreciated. Also, I'm using a Honda 3000 watt EUis generator/inverter to charge batteries.

Thanks again guys.

labe.
  • BB.

Questions:
    • How big is your genset?
    • What type of fuel?
    • How much do you run it (or want to run it)?
    • How much power do you use from your batteries?
    • Do you have a Amp*Hour meter / battery monitor to watch the state of charge on your batteries? Getting one of these will answer many questions and help save your very expensive batteries.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus

Labe,

Welcome,,,Sisu!

After reading Bill's link, (my link too, though I didn't find the complete spec!) I would consider getting either an Iota or Xantrex charger. The TC series has been discontinued but it seems that the Tc2 series should be fine.
    http://store.solar-electric.com/bach2.html

You can find TC 20 amp and 40 amp chargers on e-bay quite often. If you were to run a TC-40 it would be in the range, and it will run quite well on your Eu 3000. In fact you could run two of them on the Eu 3000, giving you 80 amps,,which would reduce your run time considerably. Make sure that you get proper temperature compensation controls with any charger you use.

On the other hand,, if you are thinking about building a real off grid system, consider buying a Xantrex or other inverter/charger. http://store.solar-electric.com/bach2.html

That would allow you to run your loads and charge at the same time off the genny, using the most efficient use of fuel.

Finally, with such a large battery bank, there is a very real risk of consistent under charging. (Counter intuitively probably the largest cause of battery failure!) . If you use the batteries at camp only on the week end, you would need to run the genny for the entire weekend to recover the stand by loss, plus your load losses.

If you moved to a solar system, you could drive your loads on the weekend, and have the week to fully recover,, avoiding damage from being undercharged.

Where did you get these batteries? What did you have to pay for them? Who do you deal with in NWO? I know that Mier Hardware on Simpson St. does some solar stuff. I have dealt with Fred at Northern Lights Solar in Atikokan with good results as well. I have ordered stuff from NAWS ad had it shipped to Ryden's store in Grand Portage with great result.

Tony

PS This site is populated by some very sharp people who have forgotten more about how off grid power works, (and doesn't) than most of us will ever know. Take advantage of the knowledge so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
  • BB.
    icarus wrote: »
    PS This site is populated by some very sharp people who have forgotten more about how off grid power works, (and doesn't) than most of us will ever know. Take advantage of the knowledge so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

And then there is me... :roll: :D

-Bill
  • icarus
    BB. wrote: »
    And then there is me... :roll: :D

-Bill

And then there is me,,, What's a wheel?

T
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    And then there is me,,, What's a wheel?

T

It's a UNIX group whose members are allowed to use SU. :p

Edit: Holy crap! How did I become a "solar expert"? Geez...I wish someone had told me. Guess I don't need to try to figure out this amps/watts/volts thing anymore.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    It's a UNIX group whose members are allowed to use SU. :p

Edit: Holy crap! How did I become a "solar expert"? Geez...I wish someone had told me. Guess I don't need to try to figure out this amps/watts/volts thing anymore.

well gee batman, you didn't get 79 posts by being dumb did you? ok 78 because this last one was dumb.:roll: would you have preferred we called you a solar dummy until you hit 100 posts?:p:D i know you don't think of yourself as an expert, but ya gotta know sumpun to git dis fur. see what several thousand posts does to you!