12 volt panels

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I have access to 11 used - Kyocera 135 watt solar panels that output 12 volts purchased in 05’. My goal is to grid tie and offset of normal daily usage. Most panels I see for grid tie systems are 24 or 48 volt output. Would the 12 volt panels work for this type of application?
Thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 12 volt panels

i assume that you are talking about a battery backed gt system. these are dependent on the lower voltages of battery systems, but can still sell some of the excess power back to the grid. there is nothing wrong in using those pvs for this arrangement, but you will find you will either have to add more pvs or do away with one depending on the voltage desired and the number of parallel strings made of these pvs. for example, if you want a 48v battery bank to be charged, this can be done with 2 strings of 5 pvs and of course the controller will be a quality mppt with downconverting abilities. that leaves the 11th out and not used.
    did kyocera have the 135s out in 05 or was it later? in any case investigate that the pvs are in good working order.
    also note that for a straight gt system that you may need more pvs to achieve the higher voltages many of those inverters demand and must be determined on a case by case basis as gt inverter requirements do vary.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the reply. As you can tell I am new to the process. The plan was to start out small and buy 6 - 200 watt panels and send to the grid during the day when no one is home. I was not planing on using batterys. I was planning to grid tie with a inverter. I was just notified that 11 used panels were available and the low voltage out put supprised me. What I have been looking at were 24 or 48 volt panels. I had not thought about a series. 2 - 12 volt panels wired in a series would give 24 volts but only 135 watts? Is that the way it works? Would I be better off with 24 or 48 volt panels. Again, I am still researching and learning.

Thanks
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

The Kyocera 135 watt panels did not come out until around 2007, so I would double check what you are looking at.

11 of the 12 volt panels in series may not be high enough voltage, since most grid tie inverters need 150 volts+ as a minimum.