MPPT - Series of Parallel ???

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi all,

I have 2 65w luxor marine panels (http://www.luxor-solar.com/cms/upload/datenblaetter/Datenblatt_inselmodul_solo_LX75.pdf) aboard my 12 volt yacht.

Both panels connect to a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller (http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sunsavermppt)

I have had a lot of mixed advice about how to connect the panels to the controller. My main requirement is to produce as many amps as possible and therefore I wired them in parallel. I have recently been told that with MPPT trickery a 48 volt series configuration may perform better and produce higher amps. Is there any truth in this?

Regards

G

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: MPPT - Series of Parallel ???

If the panels are mounted on the same surface (both face the sun at the same time at the same angle) and the electrical wire length is relatively short (10 feet or so of 14 awg wire from panels to charge controller)--then, in your case, you could wire the panels in series or parallel and get optimum charging current.

If the panels are not on the same surface when facing the sun (such as one on "left" other facing "right") and/or they will be subjected to shadows from rigging/etc., then you would probably be better off wiring them in parallel. This is because the output of the panels (current) is porportional to the amount of sun hitting the entire surface of the panel. If there is a difference in the level of light and/or shadows on one panel and not the other, the current will be reduced in one panel (the one in shade). When the panels are in series, the one panel will limit the current of both panels.

Panels will only work well for you if they are in full sun. Any shadows from a line/mast/fitting/etc. (or when the panels are not directly facing the sun--such as happens on a boat) will dramatically reduce their outputl. Panels will be helpful in keeping your battery(ies) charged--but if you need a fair amount of power (running lights, anchore light, transmitter, GPS, etc.)--you probably will still need a fuel driven generator (and for backup in cloudy weather).

Things that will help--get LED navigation lights, cockpit lighting, low power radios (at least for primary use), and such... Conserve your power usage.

The Morning Star MPPT charge controller is 100% the best one for its size out there... However, it absolutely needs the Remote Battery Temperature Sensor (PDF Spec.) for charging your battery bank. The controller tends to error on the "hot side" if you use its internal temperature sensor and significantly leaves the battery with less than full charge.

MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) will basically allow your controller to take anything from 17-75 volts (Vmp/Voc solar panel voltage range) and efficiently convert this into the ~14-15 volts DC that your battery needs for charging.

If you where in a very hot area and/or you had a long distance to run your PV panel wires to the charge controller (always keep the wire run short between charge controller and battery bank) then MPPT would be a help to run at a higher voltage (your panels in series). This reduces the voltage drop in your PV wiring run (and/or you can use smaller gauge wire to save money--a big issue for larger arrays used large systems >1,000 watts). And because Vmp (panel output voltage) falls with increasing temperature, if you have hot panels and very cold batteries (which require higher voltage for proper charging) you can run into an issue with Vmp+Controller/wiring voltage drop is less than the optimum voltage required to charge your battery bank (should not be a problem with your panels as their Vmp is over 17 volts at standard temperature).

Remember, never under estimate how much shading will reduce your solar panel output... With two panels in parallel (or even in series), just one rope across one panel may reduce your system's output by 50%.

Also, I would highly suggest that you install a battery monitor in your system if battery power is critical for your safety (and to help prevent battery damage from over discharging and/or deficit charging). They are not cheap--but it is the only way you will know the state of charge of your battery bank at any time (without using a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte in your battery--which is impossible if you have an AGM/Sealed battery bank).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply. Off the the back of it I will leave the panel configuration as is.

For your information....

The power consumption of the boat (www.ninjod.org) has been driven to a minimum ahead of a transat.

I have an AirBreeze in addition to the solar panel configuration, this unit seems to offer lots of amps as soon as I get above 15 knots of breeze.

My cable runs are as short as they can be. I did put deck plug/sockets inline so I can remove the panels as and when I need.

Battery monitoring comes courtesy of my NKE battery monitor. It reports draw ( via its shunt) and lets me know what I have left. I have a service battery bank of 210 amps. I alarm when the service batter bank drops below 60% of capacity. If all the natural resources (solar, wind) have gone I have a very large alternator (balmar) and smart regulator (http://www.dg2k.co.uk/) to pump the batteries back up.

Thanks again..

Paul
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Paul,

Sounds like you have it all taken care of.

Have a fun and safe voyage!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset