MPPT charge controller in the 20A-30A range?

_OS_
_OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Hi,

My brother has two 130W panels and is looking for an MPPT charge controller. The SunSaver MPPT (that I have) has a max rating of 15A which is a bit small for 260W and the Xantrex and Outback controllers that I have read about in this forum are rated at 60A and higher. Are there any good MPPT controllers in-between?

There is one 30A unit that is very popular in our country but we are not sure about the quality of the unit. The brochure claims it is MPPT. See the picture below. It reminds me of a Morningstar Prostar. Is it an older version?

hb30.jpg

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: MPPT charge controller in the 20A-30A range?

Two 130's are just fine for the SunSaver Mppt ... at 14V thats 210 watts output or @ 220 watts Input ... at your latitude you will never see STC performance for more than a few days a year from the solar

If you have a link to the charger in the picture I'll look and see what it is
  • _OS_

Thanks SG,

I got a message now from a dealer in Norway that claims that the regulator in the picture above is manufactured in Norway and have nothing to do with Morningstar. Sorry about this!
  • Solar Guppy

Send the link ... looks link a PWM not Mppt unit from the picture
  • _OS_
    Send the link ... looks link a PWM not Mppt unit from the picture

Below the only link I have found (in Norwegian) and the title says Morningstar!
    http://www.powershop.as/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10511666;c:100442

EDIT: From the user manual in the link above you will find the manufacturer Power Controls: www.powercontrols.no

EDIT2: I know that users on this forum has patents on MPPT so please feel free to send me a PM if you want me to call the manufacturer above.

EDIT3: Technical spec (in norwegian):
    http://www.hyttebutikken.no/netthandel/files/RegulatorHB30_brukerveil.pdf

Ole
  • Solar Guppy

OK, to be that small and true Mppt makes sense as the Maximum Voltage input is only 25V or a 12 Nominal Panel. The Actual gain will be the difference from the battery voltage and the vmp point, in your cool climate, it would be OK but you would need to run the panels in parallel, not series

And I'm 100% certain, its not a MorningStar product, you should alert your retailer about that as I'm sure MorningStar would NOT be happy

I like the layout, very large and clear display ... curious what is the cost local to you for this charger?
  • _OS_

The controller costs kr. 4688 ($700) and the same shop sells the SunSaver MPPT for kr. 2813 ($420) and the OutBack MX60 for kr. 8000 ($1194). All prices including 25% VAT/tax.

It seems like this shop put the Morningstar name in front of every charge controller, even the Outback MX60:
    http://www.powershop.as/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10511788;c:100442
  • Solar Guppy

Wow, that's steep pricing

One can get a Xantrex XW-Mppt Street pirce for 499.00 even with VAT of 25% that's only 625.00

Sunsavers are around 225.00 Street price in the US ... that's some serious markup!
  • _OS_

Yes and that is why I have bought my SS MPPT and the Trimetric from a US dealer. I have a SureSine on order from the same US dealer. My brother is considering the MX60 and will also buy from the US.
  • Solar Guppy

I would suggest you get the XW-Mppt, its a much better controller
  • Malasombra
    Malasombra Solar Expert Posts: 24

Phocos has 20A and 30A mppts for around 200€-300€ .
  • _OS_
    Malasombra wrote: »
    Phocos has 20A and 30A mppts for around 200€-300€ .
    Thanks,

Do you have any experience with the Phocos? Anybody else?

Ole
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

OS,

The OutBack MX60 MPPT charge controller is no longer in production. It has been replaced by the FLEXmax 60 (60 A output at 40 C) and the FLEXmax 80 (80 A output at 40 C). Details and specs for these two MPPT charge controllers are available via the following link:

http://www.outbackpower.com/products/charge_controllers/flexmax/

These controllers' output current ratings are substantially higher than something in the 20 A - 30 A range. However, their maximum efficiency is at ~1/3 of their rated output. This may be a useful consideration from an overall system performance perspective.

See page 62 in the user manual: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/manuals/flexmax.pdf

Hope this helps,

Jim / crewzer
  • Malasombra
    Malasombra Solar Expert Posts: 24
    _OS_ wrote: »
    Thanks,

Do you have any experience with the Phocos? Anybody else?

Ole

Yep with normal regs ,so far so good. Not tested one of those mppt's yet, i really prefer one of OB ( but still no FM manual in Spanish and people have doubts....)