Solar Air Heaters

Options
boisblancboy
boisblancboy Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been looking around at the solar space heaters. I think they are a pretty simple and very interesting. Lots of them ranging from $1,000 and up which seems to be over priced if you ask me. Seems if you were at all handy they wouldnt be hard to make yourself for a 1/4 of the cost, maybe im wrong.

Today just for something to do I got a 25 ft piece of 4" black drain tile(not perferated lol), laid it out in full sun on the ground and put small digital thermometer in one end and a small DC computer cooling fan in the other hooked to a 5w solar panel. The temp outside was 47 degrees and with the fan running the thermometer got up as high a 68 degrees. Which I thought was really good since it was laying on the ground and not insulated in any way.

Does anyone have any DIY solar heaters or something similar they have made or reviews from anyone that have bought a high quality one? After looking into these I think they are something that would be easy to get into and help with supplimental heat for my home.

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Air Heaters

Enclose it in glass and watch the temperature rise!

Seriously, these guys have lots of ideas/plans along those lines:

http://www.builditsolar.com/

The basic principles involved can be adapted to lots of uses!
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As I mentioned to Bois in a PM, Everyone who is interested in any sort of solar projet to remember used patio door glass. These strong, tempered safety glass panels come in two standard sizes,, 28x76" and 34x76". You can usually pick them up nearly free from most any glass shop. When I panel of an insulated unit breaks,, or the seal fails between the panels, the entire unit is replaced leaving a perfectly good piece of tempered glass that cannot be cut,, and is seldom reused.

They are such nice sizes for solar water heaters, space heaters, greenhouses, skylights, cold frames, tombe walls etc. I don't think that I have ever paid more than $5 for one.

Tony
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Great tip! I'll have to check out my local glass shop and experiment around a little bit.

If i could make a couple heaters that actually work fairly well hopefully it would help out my heating bill in the winter.
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be the correct size fan for a certain size solar air collector box? Obviously the slower the air movement(lower CFM) would promote higher temps and vise versa with a larger fan, but how would you determine the optimum setup? Any ideas?
  • icarus
    Options

If my limited memory of classes I took decades ago is still there,,, The most efficient is to pick up the fewest number of btu's per pass. In other words in a water system, circucate the water faster with a smaller Delta T gets more net btus than higher Delta with lower volume.

I would assume that would be true for air as well. Having said that, with air you want to avoid drafts at room temps. A warm air heater blowing at 90f will feel drafty, as opposed to one blowing at 200f feel warm. So the balance of efficiency has to be off set by the practical. Picking up 1f @150cfmmight be the most efficient, but it might feel cold, as opposed to picking up 15f @ 15 cfm for example.

Try rigging up either a variable speed fan, (try 24vdc fan on 12vdc for example,, should move ~1/2 as much air) or use a series of fans since this is a beta test.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

now that's interesting tony and for the record i've not taken any classes in that area as i was thinking when i was fiddling with solar water heating that btu pickup was also a factor of time of exposure. my thinking was like having a garden hose out in the sun that if allowed to flow with the normal water pressure (fast) that it comes out of the nozzle nearly the same temperature as what it was when it went in. now allow the flow to slow down and the exposure time to the sun's btus is increased and the temperature of the water is higher by the time it hits the other end. i know the fast concept works with an air conditioner, but fast doesn't seem to pick up the sun's heat well in a garden hose or a pipe for my way of thinking. btus by themselves are lost without the time element added to it as it is usually listed as btus per hour so time is a factor, continuing with the water example a 1/2in cu pipe when split with a tee into 2 (or more) of the same 1/2in cu pipes that the flow is allowed to slow and collect the heat and then recombine with tees to exit the other side hotter. this is increasing not only the time of exposure to increase heat transfer, but also the exposed pickup area to the heat. you might try to tell me it's only because of that pickup area increase that it became hotter, but that's not true as water that sits in a hose in the sun longer is allowed to heat up farther than one that is evacuated fast from the hose.
    does this make sense or am i full of crap in my thinking and tell me why?
  • icarus
    Options

Neil,

Don't take my opinion to the bank,, but if memory serves,, what I said is correct.

Lets consider this example. Let's say that your garden hose is 50' long and holds 2 gallons of water. If you turn on the hose,lying in the sun, with it flowing at say 5gpm. At the end lets say that it picks up .05degree f at the outlet. (You are going to make me think here!) 5 gallons X 11lbs/gallon=66 lbs X .05 degrees=3.3 btu If you run that for 6 hours you will get 3.3 X 60 X 6 =1188 btus into the water.

The made up numbers here are the Delta T (temp rise) all the other numbers are real numbers,,, unless I err which is more than possible.

Now,, lets pose a different scenario.

If you reduce the flow rate to 1/10,, or .5 gpm I don't think that the temp rise would rise ten fold,,, or 5f. Of course the only way you can test this is with know flow rates and know Delta T's.

Now,, as the memory comes back,, I believe that one of the reasons for the more efficiency is that less heat is lost out of the collector. Picture this,,,Energy efficiency in houses is measured with R-values. R-values are an inverse relationship to a U-value. The R-value of a component is the resistance of that material to heat flow. The U value is the calculation of heat loss (in btus) per degree of Delta T.

Intuitively we know that our house (and it's components) loses more heat on a colder day than a milder one. That said, a solar collector should loose more heat as it's Delta T relative to the outside air is greater. I think that is the key. As I said,, I learned some of this stuff more than 30 years ago and don't really use it on any regular basis.

Does this make any sense, or am I getting it clear as mud?

Tony

Ps I'm as likely to be full of crap as anyone,, probably more so!
  • niel
    Options

maybe the problem isn't how you explain it, but more my ability to grasp it. maybe if you were to figure it out your way for 2 example scenarios, then maybe i could get a grasp on it or at least i'll take your word for it.
    in the examples use identical pipe lengths and size.
    same initial flow rates.
    same base starting water temp, sunshine, and ambient temp.
    same length of time running.
    the difference in the collectors will be yours will be one long continuous run of pipe, whereas mine will split through a tee and recombine in a tee. what's the end results?
    sorry for making you think.:roll::p:D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

You're both right. :)

The difference I think is: Tony is talking about over-all gain in heat transfer through recirculating media, and Niel is referring to a direct in/out system.

If you move air fast its pressure drops and it loses heat (just like allowing it to expand). 'Ideally' you'd compress the air inside where you wanted the heat, evacuate as many therms off it as possible, then allow it to expand in the solar collector to pick up more heat. Refrigeration in reverse. But air doesn't change much in density for temperature as opposed to, say, Freon.

Or else I'm completely wrong, which is another distinct possibility! :p

Density of the collecting and transfer media makes a difference, as heat can only move 'so fast' between masses. Generally low-density materials are better. Even so metals such as aluminium are more thermally efficient than other materials like ABS plastic.

So you could use recirculating media and 'store up' solar gain to be released slowly as needed, or try to pump the air of the house through and heat it all directly. As with all things, there are advantages and disadvantages to any way of doing it.

There's always more than one answer to a question; the trick is to find the best one.
  • niel
    Options

i hate to say it, but i think i'm more confused then when i started.:confused:
  • icarus
    Options

I think my example stunk quite frankly. I started on one train of thought and ended on another with no real connection between the two,,not so uncommon

I THINK, that my contention that it is more efficient to collect heat in many passes through a collector, gaining a small number of btus each pass than fewer passes with greater gain per pass. I BELIEVE that this is true because the hotter the collector is, the greater the temp difference between the collector and the outside air. The greater that temp difference the more heat is lost to the air from the collector.

I'm not sure this make it any clearer however.

Tony

A quick google search reveals:http://www.directdriveservice.com/Ensysce_brochure.pdf
  • niel
    Options

with 1/2in cu pipe in and out with the presure being the same i don't see that you will gain more than i because, although your example is going faster, it also has farther to travel so it can lose the same as the 2 shorter and slower pipes. imho at it's worst case my example would be equal to yours in btu output. i can't say for sure though.
  • Lefty Wright
    Lefty Wright Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options

Back in the '70's the Mother Earth News published articles on solar air heaters and movers. They used no moving parts. They found that convection worked well enough.

They were basically a trough with 2X4 sides, plywood bottom and a glazed top.

The ends were open and inside was a sheet of corrigated metal roofing painted black.

They were installed, slanted down at about a 45* angle on the South side of a building with the high end stuck through a window.

I always thought that several of them installed on a pitched roof could be vented to suck hot air out of an attic in the summer and pump hot air into the attic in the winter.
  • icarus
    Options

Neil,

I think this calls for a controlled test.

Someone with a collector, air or water, will have to run a side by side, one using X flow rate over a given time with similar insolation and OAT, the other using 2X over the same time, insolation and OAT and we will see what it reveals. I have no way of doing this. Anybody out there that can do it for us?

T
  • heynow999
    heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • heynow999
    heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I like the idea of building things yourself, but something like a collector I would rather buy an engineered and manufactured one. Why try and reinvent the wheel.

I like this one.

http://www.grammer-solar.com/en/products/twinsolar/index.shtml

In the Canadain rebate guide they rate this panel as a "1" and most other ones are less.
  • niel
    Options

lefty,
    in it's simplest form that works just fine for either air or water. water has freezing worries of course. the completely open area filling with air or water will create eddy currents and may not be the best way to heat it as some of it may escape before being heated up very well. baffles or channels for the air would do slightly better for it imho.
  • icarus
    Options

Reading through the fieldline link,, it seems the consensus is that lower Delta T higher flow rate seems to work better. Thanks for the link 999

Tony
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

If you want to buy, here's another source - good guy from some of the solar newsgroups building solar air heating panels.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/index.html

However, solar air heating panels/collectors are one of the easiest and most cost effective do it yourself projects out there - no leaks or at least no potential mess as with hot water panels, cheap, simple. I think Gary's site (the build it solar link previously posted - another newsgroup guy) covers the current state of the art well, though I have not read through it in it's new, expanded version - the best air collectors are typically built with screen or furnace filter material inclined at an angle so that cool air filters from the front/bottom/outside through the black screen/filter and into the back/top/inside hot side.

The collector material in these designs does not need to conduct heat well, as it is directly exposed to the air, and transfers heat to the air without needing to conduct it anywhere. They are far more effective than old flat plate air heaters where a hot surface is next to the glazing, and heat must be conducted through it, and then transferred into an air stream passing behind it. Enough more effective that I have 4 of the old type I scavenged which I'll be changing to "the new system" before I deploy them.

Tony's recall is good - more BTU's are extracted at minimal temperature rise, due mostly to less loss from less elevated collector temperature - however, in practice this needs to be traded off with fan power consumption and fan noise (if using fans), temperature required to make thermosyphon work (if not using fans) and comfort issues.

Making sure that the collectors do not "back thermosyphon" at night is also important - things as simple as a "check valve" made from plastic wrap can do that, but not doing that can actually increase your fuel use. Fan-driven collectors can be designed so that they cannot back thermosypon, without needing any check valve.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been looking around at the solar space heaters. I think they are a pretty simple and very interesting. Lots of them ranging from $1,000 and up which seems to be over priced if you ask me. Seems if you were at all handy they wouldnt be hard to make yourself for a 1/4 of the cost, maybe im wrong.

Today just for something to do I got a 25 ft piece of 4" black drain tile(not perferated lol), laid it out in full sun on the ground and put small digital thermometer in one end and a small DC computer cooling fan in the other hooked to a 5w solar panel. The temp outside was 47 degrees and with the fan running the thermometer got up as high a 68 degrees. Which I thought was really good since it was laying on the ground and not insulated in any way.

Does anyone have any DIY solar heaters or something similar they have made or reviews from anyone that have bought a high quality one? After looking into these I think they are something that would be easy to get into and help with supplimental heat for my home.

Thanks

For residential space warm air heating 115 degree discharge temperature seems to be the minimum temperature that people are comfortable with. Any thing lower makes it feel cold and drafty. Of course the lower the cfm the better, some people are sensitive to any air movement. There is always a tradeoff between efficiency and comfort, a low delta T may be more efficient but a usable delta t is required to raise the temperature in a reasonable amount of time without making you uncomfortable.
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Yeah true, but you could always try and make sure that the output air isnt going to be directly blowing at someone. Just try to have it mix or circulating the rooms air.