samlex "sk" inverters

lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
anyone have one of these? i just ordered one as it looks more robust with a much higher surge capacity (and a 2 yr warranty instead of 1). and while it cost a lot more than the standard pure sine wave model, i didnt want to mess around by having my loads trip the inverter.
ive been trying to run a small window AC last yr on a 600w sine wave inverter and it would run ok on a low setting but would trip on start up or high settings sometimes. its mostly that darn startup surge on so many appliances thats the problem.. so this should help

http://www.invertersrus.com/sk1500-112.html

i figure with this one I should be able to run pretty much anything in the house :)

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: samlex "sk" inverters

yes, that should handle it. let us know how it compares to the other one besides the obvious power differences.
  • lamplight

this is a great inverter, i installed it this weekend along with the blue sea heavy duty switch i never installed (bought it for the last inverter but never got around to installing). so now i can get a true "off" if needed, say in winter.

i ran the refrigerator all day on the new inverter :) THAT is pretty exc? iting :)

it has a low power setting so that when there are not any loads above 15 watts it goes into power saving mode, well --- i found out today that turning on a regular load does not wake it up from power saving mode, i had to go downstairs to cycle it on and off. for now i have disabled that feature to avoid that problem (it has dip switches on the front). but it looks like it has a small remote control option (hardwired) that can reset it, so i will look into getting that so i dont have to run down to the inverter in the basement each time, especially if the low power mode saves a lot.

i should have gotten this larger inverter with high surge capacity right from the start.. now i have to start looking into getting rid of my 600w samlex.

i still have the ANN125 quick blow fuse installed on the + between it and the inverter. .. that was appropriate for the 600w inverter. the manual for this inverter doesnt say what kind of fuse i should have, i recall you guys helped me figure out what to get last time... will i be ok on this fuse stil? (ie: will it protect the inverter)? i ran the fridge today as i say and im pretty sure it surges to over 1000w , and i dont expect to be running anything over 1500w if that makes a difference.

thanks..
    matt
  • niel

side note for us hams, it seems there's no hams working at samlex as i would not have designated it an sk.:cry: to those that don't know what i'm talking about, but want to know, sk is short for silent key. a key is in reference to a morse code keyer and silent meaning it moves no more or is dead so this refers to hams that have passed away. it makes it sound like they are selling a dead inverter.:roll:

matt,
    it sounds like crewer gave you the fuse value for it and he probably based it on the 1000w surge of the 600w inverter and added 25% and rounded up. your new one has a 3000w surge. going purely on the basics, 1500w/12v=125a. yes, that means you could use the 125a fuse, but it would waste some of the surge capability of the inverter and would pop as soon as it hits 125a, even briefly. basing it on the surge of 3kw that would be 3000/12=250a. as that is the top end of the inverter for brief periods i'd go with a 250a fuse. fast blow would be better, but either fast or slow is fine in my view and i'm not padding it with anything extra as some may.
    remember, it isn't the inverter you are protecting here, but rather the wires and if you are putting more amps through, be sure the wires are rated for it and not just the fuse.
  • lamplight

ok thanks Neil, i'd forgot how to figure what i needed. i will look into a 250amp fuse, as i recall those quick blow fuses were expensive but looks like its worth it.

now ill be selling a ann125 if anyones interested :)
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Matt are you sure it wouldn't wake up by itself? Try a larger load, maybe a 40w incandescent; if it was a computer or CF lamp it might not see that as enough load to wake it up. Back in our first setup I had to flip on a desk lamp before I turned on the computer, once it woke up I could shut the light back off. I had the same problem with a dual four foot fluorescent ceiling light in the kitchen, it used an electronic ballast and it wouldn't wake up the inverter, once it was on it was fine though.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • lamplight

Hey Brock
    actually i had the FRIDGE on it. the problem is probably related to the fact that i dont have a ground in my offgrid system (and i have GFCI outlets) .. one of those questions i was going to get around to asking here .. should I have a ground (i think i know the answer) and how to do it). i know that has come up here often so i'll do some searching later before asking a specific question. thanks!
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have looked at the samlex inverter in question and it has exactly the same specs as a same sized go power unit. The only disernable difference seems to be the paint and decal stickers. Can anyone confirm that they are infact indentical and/or made by the same factory. If they are I can confirm that it would be a reasonablly good inverter since i have been using my go power for about 6months straight with no problems to date. It runs my entire house at the moment.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • lamplight

can you post a link?
    i just did a quick surge and don't see any gopower models that look similar or have the same specs.
  • Dapdan

lamp,

not a problem, here is the link, i am using the 1500w 24w model i got it for $600 from boatandrvaccessories.com.

http://www.gpelectric.com/commonfiles/libraries/docs/specsheets/GP-SW1000-1500.pdf

cheers
    Damani
  • niel

matt,
    please confirm if it's a 12v inverter you just bought or 24v. maybe i overlooked it, but i seem to recall it was 12v and that was what my calcs were based on.
  • lamplight

Damani
    yes the gpsw1000 (1000w) physical case looks almost identical to the sk1500 (1500w) and even appears to have dip switches and led's in the same place comparing these 2 photos, so maybe made by the same manufacturer, or at least the cases are from the same place:

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/inverters/gosw1000.html

and the sk1500 i have:http://www.ibuygreenenergy.com/c=PQkF1fLQbO28osZ9YnGVRq9KQ/product/SLX0140/Samlex_SK1500112_1500_Watt_Pure_Sine_Wave_Inverter__High_Surge.html

your 1500w one doesn't look like the samlex 1500w model though at all. but it does look like they both have the same type of remote available (did you get that yet? experiences?)

they both have 2 year warranty but a big difference is the surge capacity of the samlex sk, it is much higher at 3000w

(and yes niel mine's 12v)
  • Dapdan

Hey lamp,

You are right about the diff in surge, but it is uncanny that they both can select 50/60hz and 110/115/120v. For my research they are the only two inverter that i know of that you can select the output frequency and the voltage. I dont think that is a coincidence they must be using similar or same electronics to achieve this.

I don't have the remote since mine is on 24/7. 6months later it is still working very good no problems what so ever. I also know a few other guys locally that use the same brand with no problems either. so at $600 it was a good medium range 24v TSW- a good buy IMHO.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • fatheadl
    fatheadl Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have used the s1500-112 from July 2007 to Oct. 2008 and changed to the s1500-124 since then. I have had no problems with either unit.

fatheadl
  • lamplight

thanks!

i did just noticethis one is way more sensitive to EQ charges han my last one... i actually had to shut off (or it shut itself off) during an eq. the other one (600w) didnt mind at all , oh well not the end of the world
  • lamplight

Brock it did wake itself up. i tried it again just now after i put the inverter back on after an eq and it turns out the problem is that i ran a ungrounded gfci outlet to my home office and that needs to be reset at the outlet to wake it it up. obviously somehow that ground wire is important ;)

i was shocked to see after an eq it was keeping the batteries on float at only 13 watts (thats running the webserver too)!

wheni put the inverter on it jumped to about 35-40, when i put the power save on it was at about 20-25, no a huge power savings but some... not sure if it would have lowered or evened out with more tim with no load)
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! It sounds like your working the kinks out :)
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • fatheadl
    fatheadl Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hi,
    The upper DC voltage varies between models. Some 15V and some 16V

fatheadl