generator hook up to inverter

lotek
lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
Will I be able to attach my 4000w 120v only generator to a Xantrex xw inverter? the generator has 4 standard120 outlets + an RV outlet, and it is actually putting out 128v @64cycles. Could I hook up 2 outlets to each 120 side of a 240v connection or could I just hook it up to ac input as is?

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Re: generator hook up to inverter

I am not positive but i know on the Magnum energy split phase inverter you can. All you do is hook the 120 volt output of the generator to one side of the ac in on the inverter. It works we have done it twice with customers that have 120 only generators
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Currently the XW requires a 240V generator, I have heard they are going to update the firmware to work with 120V only, no hardware changes will be required but would be limited to the 75% rule as the unbalanced outputs are allowed.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it sounds like your generator needs to be slowed down a bit. i'm not a mechanic so i don't know of how they do that on gennys. slowing it down will lower the hertz you are seeing and may help lower the voltage also as that's a bit high too.
  • lotek
    lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

My knowlage of voltage is limited, but I thought 240v was just 120v on 2 legs.
    Are you saying that if I hooked up 2 120 lines, one to each leg, that would still be 120?

Yes, 128v is a bit high, but that is at the generator and under no load. its an onboard readout that tells voltage/ cycles/and hrs run. This is an LP powered generator and the instructions say, " dont fool with the settings" I do plan on getting a larger generater at some point in the future, but for now, all I run is power tools at the end of 50 ft of 12 gauge cord. I guess I could make it 100 ft. the resistance would drop the voltage some.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

if the generator is 120 only then thats all you have all the 120 volt outlets are in phase with each other. On a 120/240 generator half of the 120 outlets are 180 degrees out of phase with the other half giving you 240 volts between them.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

128 volts @64hz is just fine with no load. Don't mess with the genny. Load the genny to ~75%, then check the voltage and the Hz.

The standard is sort of 120vac +- 10% on the voltage,,, making 108-132vac. Cycles should be within ~5hz. I would be that 128/64 will be just 120/60 with a good load on the genny,

Tony
  • homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

I couldn't use my generator with my invercharger Samlex S1024 A, my generator had an output of 135v @ 63.9 HZ. and coudn't operate the transfer relay switch on charging mode because said diferience, I used my kill a watt,( on Hz read mode) and adjusted the genny speed ( with the inverter power in connected ) until the charger relay kicked on, on my Samlex started the charging cycle @ 61.1 Hz., the manufacturer said that it will operate at +- 5 Hz., that is not always the case, I could adjusted the genny speed to give 60Hz. but it could change under load, so, I just adjusted to the frecuency necessary to operate the charging mode.

:cool:

If the higher frecuency has a negative effect on the electronic devices that you want to operate, it might be a good idea to bring the frecuency as close to the rated 60Hz. as long it does not drop below 60hz, under full load,....

Beware of the evil D.J. red cat...:D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Except in the case of inverter generators, Frequency is strictly a matter of engine speed. There is a reason that genny engines run at 900/1800/3600 rpm,,, as it is a multiple of 60. 50 hz gennies run slower.

Most gennies will put out a few volt/cycles over with no load, running close to spec with 50% load. My big 10kw Onan runs ~62hz/130vac at no load,,, 120/60 right on at 4kw.

Of course this might be a problem firing an inverter that needs exactly 60 hz.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also--just as and FYI--on utility power running at 60Hz (and confirmed by my GT inverter)--my Kill-a-Watt meter will read 59.9 Hz (no rounding up from 59.99999 Hz?).

I have never seen 60 Hz on the K-a-W meter when connected to utility power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset