X 5548 SW+ for Three Phase ??

Options
Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
Hi All,

Have a Three Phase Genset, and now have a three phase load. Seem to remember seeing something about a 3 Phase stacking box being avail when the SW+ inverters were in production.

Have couple of systems using Trace 5548 SW+s stacked for 240 VAC -- and therefore I could come up with the third inverter. I do not have six to do native 240 VAC Three Phase, tho.

Was there ever such a device? Would it accommodate 3 ea 5548 SW+ inverters ? Guess that I would need 3 Phase transformer(s) to do 120 V in/out to 240 VAC in/out as the gensset is 240 VAC. And if it was made, does anone know where one might buy this Three Phase hardware stacker at this time ?

Called my favorite supplier, but they had not ever heard of or done 3 Phase with this hardware.

Asked this on the X Forum, but seems that the big X is too busy or uninterested to reply ... so thought I'd try here. Am off to the mountains -- no internet, so will check back in a week.

TIA for any comments, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: X 5548 SW+ for Three Phase ??

I designed the original 3 phase option for the SW series sometime in the 1990's, and at that time it basically consisted of a special 3 connector cable that connected all 3 stacking connectors together, and involved one Microprocessor to be swapped out to make the phase shift 120 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

I don't remember what ever became of that... It could have probably been done with a cable that did the shifting of phase another way though... i.e., outside the SW by a separate phase shifting unit in the cable assembly. The SW+ should be similar.

Would be curious to hear what they say, if you ever do hear back on that. I kind of doubt that they would be supporting that option though.

boB
  • frserapheim
    frserapheim Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15
    Options

Found this on another site a while back regarding the SW and 3phase which might be helpful.

http://www.microenergie.com/pdf/SW3Ph.pdf

FWIW I have been running Outbacks 3 phase system (3 X 3024VFX) for over 2 years and am very pleased. 3 phase loads work no problems and charging is a lot easier on the genset since all 3 phase are used.

frserapheim
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi boB, & frserapheim,

Just got cack to civilization.

Thank you very much for the replies. The link is very informative, but represents more hardware than I had hoped. This complexity with the additional need for Step down/up transformers twix the generator/inverters and inverters/loads seems to say that this is not the best way for me to go.

Probably should run the genset to power the 3-phase load, and use a transformer (Wye-to-Delta) between the gensset and the Inverters, and dedicated wiring between the a 3-phase load center on the genset outupt and the separate 3-phase load.

Thanks for taking the time. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just for the record, here is a link for the wiring of the SW stacking cable...

http://millersolar.com/resources/SWI%20Stacking%20Cable.pdf

One could create a phase shifter for this if one wanted to...
    FYI, the clock lines are differential and a differential amplifier
    is used internally.

boB