What about a pool heating panel for domestic hot water?

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I'd like to know if it's feasible to use a swimming pool collector to make hot water for use in my house. I built a passive solar saltbox back in '84 and it works well. I'd like to get solar hot water, and do it myself, and do it on the cheap. I was thinking of not boxing it in, but just using it from May to October, then store it. Sensible?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: What about a pool heating panel for domestic hot water?

Won't work.

Pool heater panels work by small temperature differentials ( less than 1 degree ) where domestic hot water can be 40-50 degrees above ambient ( that's why they are in insulated boxes )

Also pool heater panels are low pressure and can't handle street pressures
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

check out www.builditsolar.com Gary has a ton of info on homemade solar thermal stuff.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I have a bunch of black waterline that could be used to make a collector also. I'm trying to avoid the cost of the glass. Just want to make water for showering and washing dishes by hand. Also want the collector to be about 2' wide and 10-15' long to sit horizontally on an eave extension on my south side that will shade the glass from the Summer sun.
  • cow_rancher
    cow_rancher Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭✭

Black Poly pipe would make a good "pre-heater" for a regular hot water heater. But remember it can also be a good "pre-cooler".

Regular flat plate collectors work in an open mode by storing the heated water in a pressureless cistern and exchanging heat to the hot water heater thru a coil.

or in a closed system by pumping water thru them when the panels are hotter than the hot water tank by an adjustable amount, 3,5,8 degrees delta.

Rancher
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    jmac wrote: »
    I have a bunch of black waterline that could be used to make a collector also. I'm trying to avoid the cost of the glass. Just want to make water for showering and washing dishes by hand. Also want the collector to be about 2' wide and 10-15' long to sit horizontally on an eave extension on my south side that will shade the glass from the Summer sun.

Go to your local glass/repair shop. Ask for used patio door tempered glass panels,,, 34"X76" or 28"X 76" are stock sizes. Every time someone breaks one layer of an insulated unit, the other layer goes in the trash. These glass panels can be had very cheaply,, often free. The make great gazing covers for greenhouses/cold frames/solar collectors etc.

Also,, Black poly pipe doesn't like very high temps,,, and I would guess that is sheds some nasty chemicals when it gets hot.

Tony