New looking to go solar

Options
Dom
Dom Registered Users Posts: 11
Well this project will be done in steps, At first I was going to go with
a 12volt system, Going with 6V 225AH batts in series.

First step was 2 batts a PV panel and converting over to all LED
lighting throughout the house.

Then start beefing up the whole system little by little to produce 240v AC
pure sine wave, In the end was hoping to maybe totally off the grid

leaving the LED lighting in place....Then I ran across the 24V system.

Now I don't know if I should go 12v or 24v
I know the 12 V system needs thicker wire and that's ok with me
I have worked with a lot of 4/0 before..

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New looking to go solar

What is your intended end result? Are you trying to feed an entire house/cabin off grid? On grid? Just how much solar power are you after?

If your start putting a '12 volt lights only' system in all over the house and then later decide you want AC .... Your 240VAC pure sine system will be much more expensive.

DC suffers from higher line loss than AC, so the longer the wires the less voltage at the end of them. For any DC/AC inverter you try to keep the battery cables as short as possible because that's where the heaviest current draw occurs. Down leads from PV arrays are actually higher than the nominal voltage of the system.

Many of us have already learned the hard way to plan for the end result. It saves money in the long run. :D

So let's start with the #1 question: what are your AC power requirements?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The reality is, at least for the foreseeable future, if you have utility power, going off grid will not be cheaper or greener.

Building a small off-grid system for experience is one thing. To expect to expand it piecewise is another.

Generally, it is very difficult to "grow" an off-gird system (and even a grid tied system is somewhat difficult to "grow" too). The components are not cheap--and they tend to match in size/load characteristics... I.e., you cannot run a 6kW 48 volt Hybrid GT/Off-Grid Inverter on a couple of RV batteries. And, you cannot mix your old+new batteries very well (the new batteries tend to age to the existing bank and die young).

Your better investments... Conservation... Insulation, energy star appliances, windows, ground sourced or high SEER A/C., CFL lights, turn things off you don't need, etc.

Next, solar hot water (domestic hot water, and possibly area heating).

Following up with Grid Tied solar. Cheapest and most reliable of the solar electric solutions. However, does not provide off-grid/emergency backup power. A good backup generator with transfer switch may be a cost effective backup power source--if needed.

Or, a Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter with off-grid backup power (really only makes sense if you are in an area which is subject to frequent and/or long power outages).

Off-Grid--really only if it costs you tens of thousands of dollars to get the lines ran to your home/cabin.

Just to give you some, very rough, ideas of power costs:

$0.10-$0.30 per kWhr -- utility power
    $0.25-$0.35 per kWhr -- Grid Tied power (20+yr life; can drop by 1/4-1/2 with rebates/credits)
    $1.00-$2.00+ per kWhr -- Off Grid system (20+ year life+maintenance)

At this point the costs of Off-Grid does not even come close to that of utility power. If you figure out the costs of the inverter/charger and battery bank (+replacement batteries every 3-10 years)--you are probably ~$0.45 per kWhr just for their costs.

A GT system costs ~$8 per watt (a 3.5 kW peak system which will generate ~5,000 kWhrs+/- per year), will cost ~$24-$30,000 installed.

An off-grid system, of similar power capabilities will probably cost 2-3x that amount.

Having an end-point in mind is a very good place to start... Is it to "go green", save money, preserve the environment, or what...

And, starting with conservation is pretty much the first target to aim at. Reduces power usage/costs right up front. And, saves in that what ever your end result is--GT or Off-Grid--those systems needed to offset/generate your power are much smaller too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dom
    Options

Yeah I know what you mean BB.

Up front I'm looking at this as a learning point with some benefits as you mentioned
    i'm not looking for much in the way of benefits but some.

My post is in regards to an end result beit most likely unachievable.

and to Cariboocoots question

Well if you take my electric bill for July being the highest it was 90.5 Kwh per day.

now seeing that it was that high I will also be doing a lot of what BB has mentioned.

**EDIT** forgot to mention I live in arizona valley.
  • BB.
    Options

Assuming that your power bill is for A/C--Then you probably want to look at attic insulation and as efficient A/C unit as you can find (possibly ground sourced--if you have the room to lay pipe/drill wells).

If you need to circulate air for ventilation (my wife hates "stale" air)--a heat recovery ventilator might be worth a look for you too.

In California where I could be hit with a $0.58 per kWhr bill if I used that much power--GT solar does make real economic sense... If you are paying $0.10 per kWhr--then, at best, you may break even with GT solar (after rebates).

You really want to look at "extreme" cooling (and heating?) conservation measures.

By the way, reducing energy use inside your home/conditioned space can also save you on A/C costs... Old Fridge, big entertainment center, lots of decorative lights/ceiling pots/spots, several computers+laser printers left on all day, etc... You have to pay to remove all of that heat with your A/C... So, if you can reduce your internal loads, you save again by not needing to pump the heat outside. CFL's don't look pretty--but they really reduce the heat building in your home.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dom
    Options

Yeah thats another problem i have I have a single story house we have a dedicated
    computer room obviously HOT and then there is the master bedroom
    other side of the house and during the winter that room is to cold.

So basically in the winter I have like 3 different climates seriously waiting
    for my house to have man made tornadoes.
  • homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options

My respects to BB, always with an honest advice...2700 kw a month is a lot....it seems to me that you (Dom)are living the good life....but , if you can afford it and have a good credit, go with a grid tied solar....if does not pay you back now, a least you will come out even....in the long run you'll be glad did it (when you had the rescources and will).....tax credits will be a help too.....
    ;)

P.S.....By the way...BB is right ....do yourself a favor and get some good insulation...:p
  • Dom
    Options
    My respects to BB, always with an honest advice...2700 kw a month is a lot....it seems to me that you (Dom)are living the good life....but , if you can afford it and have a good credit, go with a grid tied solar....if does not pay you back now, a least you will come out even....in the long run you'll be glad did it (when you had the rescources and will).....tax credits will be a help too.....
    ;)

P.S.....By the way...BB is right ....do yourself a favor and get some good insulation...:p

trust me after looking at that KWH for july I really never thought about
    insulation we have been in this house for about 3 years now and is time for upgrades.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Conserve, then conserve some more, then conserve some more!

After that (and assuming that in your conservation you have included A/C driven hot water!) Then solar hot water, and then PV solar BEGINS to make sense. As has been stated so often,, if you have the grid available,,, keep it. It is far and away your cheapest "battery" source, as well as being a way more efficient way to use PV solar. (See items #1-3 above!).

You can begin to play with a couple of panels a battery and controller to get your feet wet, but beyond that,, look into grid tie.

Good luck,

Tony
  • BB.
    Options
    ...if does not pay you back now, a least you will come out even...

Thank you HR for the kind words...

I will disagree strongly with this one point... Unless you get zero percent financing--do not go credit and do not use your home as collateral.

90% of the people out there are in trouble because they tried to use their increasing/inflating home values as an ATM (Automated Teller Machine for others).

GT Solar only makes sense on the "edges"... Like 5-10% return on your money. Anything that cuts into those margins (7% home improvement loan, 2%+ property taxes, etc.) just blows it out of the water as any sort of "investment".

Going with "extreme" conservation will almost always be a better bet--plus you can get an improvement in your home's value.

I am not convinced that a Grid Tied Solar system is even worth 30% on the dollar if you ever sell your home (somebody here said that their real estate agent/friend said that it may even subtract from the home value for some buyers (questions about the unknown).

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dom wrote: »
    Yeah thats another problem i have I have a single story house we have a dedicated
    computer room obviously HOT and then there is the master bedroom
    other side of the house and during the winter that room is to cold.

So basically in the winter I have like 3 different climates seriously waiting
    for my house to have man made tornadoes.

for winter heating, i have seen this problem before and this sounds like either a clogged cold air return (assuming forced air system) or the lack of a cold air return in the proper place. my grandparents had a 2 story home with gas forced air and all cold air returns were only on the 1st floor. you would think the 2nd floor would've been hot and the 1st floor cold due to hot air rising as cold air falls, but that wasn't the case as the 2nd floor stayed colder. they never fixed it and i guess it worked to their advantage as they spent most of their time on the 1st floor anyway.
    another few possibilities are under insulated, not insulated, or cold outside air infiltration. even if your place was done properly, you could find that insects, birds, and animals can change that for you without your knowledge.
  • Dom
    Options

To icarus, BB., and niel, I agree big time.

To niel.
    After snooping around the crawl space of my house small duct working
    and personally its not insulated tho they made a poor attempt,
    no insulation in the floor joists. The house is a modular they use the
    house itself as the return duct and supply's are on inside walls.
    I should smack the crap out of myself due to One. that was the first time
    I have been under the house, two. I did HVAC when I lived in NJ.

To BB.
    As far as the PV system goes I will not be financing, going credit, or using the
    home as collateral I'm to afraid of something going south lol.

So one question I have is will a 12volt system be good to A. learn off of
    then down the road expand on to maybe supplement some AC voltage
    to help with the bill a little?

P.S first thing of order now is to work on the house to conserve a bit then some solar.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm glad to have jogged your memory and, yes, you have some work to do.
  • BB.
    Options

Realistically... No, a small off-grid system will not really save anything off of your energy bill... The true cost of that small system will be 10-20x the cost of just using the grid power itself.

So--what many people do is either design it for something fun--basically solar powered portable generator with a smallish storage battery and couple hundred watt inverter. You can haul it around to do small jobs without dragging out an extension cord or genset. A few folks have found ways to make a living (or at least some side cash)...

One guy I saw (was it here?) was a photographer that used a battery cart to charge his photo gear and use it as a base to support an elevated camera.

The other major way to make something for emergency power. Large enough to power a fridge and a few lights. Plus a backup generator and integrated battery charger. The solar panel may only be large enough to "trickle charge" the battery--or large enough to carry a significant amount of the load for a day or two...

Many people try to "power their bedroom"--just enough panels, batteries and inverter--plus "enough to power the desktop computer and an entertainment center"... etc...

Very quickly, the system requirements go up (as power requirements go up), and if you want to run it all year--then you need more panels for winter... Then you need an AC charger for those long weeks of cloudy weather, then--because it was supposed to be backup power, a generator, and on and on...

There is "no one good answer"... Just whatever interests you...

-Bill
  • Dom
    Options

Ok. I was also wondering if inverters are stack able?
  • BB.
    Options

A few are (or were) stackable... Mostly, those are only stackable within a specific brand/model.

A few may be able to stack a pair of 120 VAC inverters into a 240/120 VAC circuit (Outback?). A few others support 120/240 VAC with almost 100% of the power available on either leg. Also, Outback (and a few others) offer an autowound transformer that allows you to mix and match inverter to load requirements too.

My suggestion is to first characterize you loads/needs first... Then find something that fits your plans. And there are people here that can give you exact name/model numbers and probably even a parts list and point to a wiring diagram to fit your needs.

It is much more difficult to pick the hardware and then try to fit your loads/needs to your choice.

-Bill