Sanyo HIT or Suntech panels worth the money?

We are narrowing down the selection process for getting a grid tied solar system, and have gotten several bids for systems. We are in Northern California, but far enough inland that temperatures can get up to 90-100 F, but we can get cloudier foggier weather in the winter. We've gotten a bid for a 6.7 (AC) Kw system with SMA inverter and REC panels for $53,000, or a 6.5 (AC) system with same inverter but with Sanyo HIT panels for $56,000. We also got a bid for a 6.7 kw system Sunpower panels for $57,000. After rebates and tax credits the total installed cost would range from around $30,000-$33,000, but of course the system with the Sanyo panels is slightly smaller. Both the companies we are looking at have excellent reputations and have been in the business for a long time, and don't subcontract the work, so I would feel fine with either one doing the installation. The big question is whether there would be any substantial benefit either in high heat or shady days to either the Sanyo or the Suntech panels, or whether we should just go with the REC panels based on price? Sanyo has now upgraded their warranty to 5 years for materials and workmanship, but the power performance warranty is slightly better for Sunpower and the REC panels.

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Sanyo HIT or Suntech panels worth the money?

My 2 cents is don't go with the Sanyo's, they are a hybrid Asi-Si panel, no one else make anything like it and Asi has proven time and time again to not have long life

Stick with any panel that plane old Silicon ... My current favorites are Evergreens, best tolerances on the market. You can get the Evergreens for 4.00 watt now ( A Grade, that would put the material costs for a 7K system of about 32K ( Panels & Inverter )
  • theLongHairedGuy
    theLongHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 6
    ... My current favorites are Evergreens, best tolerances on the market. You can get the Evergreens for 4.00 watt now ( A Grade, that would put the material costs for a 7K system of about 32K ( Panels & Inverter )

Hi,

Where can you find A Grade Evergreen panels for $4.00/watt?

Thanks,

theLongHairedGuy
  • Solar Guppy

http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

3.68 watt, A-grade
  • theLongHairedGuy
    theLongHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 6

hmmmm... you're right. I was looking at the ES-A-xxx models and they are all B Grade.

Also, that big red LIQUIDATION SALE has me a little nervous.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The Spruce line 170's are no longer manufactured. I presume that is the reason for calling it a liquidation.
  • Solar Guppy

The same site lists current products, but in "B" grades, which quailify for all rebates, but have cosmetic blemishes. Functionally, there identical to the "A" grade.

ES-A-205-B, For 3.26 watt ( today pricing ) its an excellent way to get the best return on investment for a solar installation

The linked company has been around for 32 years and we should thank forum host ( WindSun ) for being tolerant for linking the site.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    The linked company has been around for 32 years and we should thank forum host ( WindSun ) for being tolerant for linking the site.

Was just think of that right before reading your post.

To the OP, panels and companies come and go, talk with the installers how THEY will handle any warranty claim(s).