Electric Drag Car

I didnt see an off topic section so I am posting it here, when I saw video of the car I was amazed by it and I have been wondering for a while now about electric cars, if they were a reasonably priced I would buy one.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electric Drag Car

check out tesla motors as they have a nice one. not too sure of production or if they are even still in business with the way the economy is. i saw one of them briefly on an episode of the game show chase on the sci-fi channel.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    niel wrote: »
    check out tesla motors as they have a nice one. not too sure of production or if they are even still in business with the way the economy is. i saw one of them briefly on an episode of the game show chase on the sci-fi channel.

I am actually on thier Email mailing list they take a Lotus convertible and convert them. They use a single BL motor the size of a beer keg, they go for a bit over $100k. There is also a British company that has one for 300k but they use a series of 4 smaller BL motors, 1 being at each wheel and a better battery technolgy than Tesla...I do like thier design better but not thier price....LOL

I am hoping in my lifetime this will be a legitimate option ( an electric car that can compete performance wise with a gas car at a reasonable price)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Azjc,

Actually, within the last month or so, WindSun (Admin for this forum) has created a new sub-forum called:

"Green Skeptics" - Product Reviews & Opinions Renewable Energy Products - reviews and opinions - is it REALLY 'green'?

I have moved this thread here--It is this place where people are free to have a wider discussion (if they choose) on the worth and politics of "green related" subjects.

Please feel free to have fun and continue the thread here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Personally I'd like to see some investment in cross-country solar-electric train technology. The economy of scale factor should make it a more viable option over individual electric cars, no? Just an idea.
  • BB.

Like everything--there is no clear answer...

A freight train may average over 400 miles per ton of freight.

A truck may average ~59 miles per ton of freight.

A car may average ~10-50 miles per gallon (~1/2 ton of "freight).

Trains are supposed to have ~doubled their miles per ton efficiency over the last decade or so.

At this point, there are probably other less efficient, larger consumers of "oil" out there that would be better addressed.

However, electrifying trains is probably easier than electrifying cars and trucks.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Trains are electric ... the diesel motors are just generators, all the traction is electric and has been for decades
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"However, electrifying trains is probably easier than electrifying cars and trucks." i don't know about that one as most of the power for trains is from the engine area and that affords little area to mount pvs. it may be possible to mount more pvs on each succeeding car and fed to the engine. this may work during sunshine, but it's not possible to store that much power for night use. it may be best with the power sources (pvs) just off of the tracks and fed to overhead lines after being upped to a higher voltage to be retrieved with a rolling conductor much like some of the old streetcars did here. not sure if that's how they do it in sf. the alternative is rail electrification with either the 2 or using a 3rd rail. this tends to be more dangerous to people and animals.
  • BB.

The overhead wire has been used pretty successfully for many decades--even up to the high speed French trains.

In San Francisco, the older trolleys and trackless trolleys use a single (track is return) or double boom with (what appears to be) a "pulley shaped" slider (follows the wire(s) and even little switches that allow turns and such.

The newer trolleys use a wide bar that requires the overhead to always be in the center section of the trolley. SF has configured their trolley lines to support both old and "new" style pickups.

"Electrification" to me--means that an overhead wire is strung--not adding a third rail (BART has a third rail) which would require 100% security fencing for the entire route. Not sure it would be desirable or practical to make a third rail for freight trains.

In Taiwan, they went through a phased electrification program... A "diesel electric" engine car is added behind the electric traction car to support non-electrified sections of rail (guessing from a trip I took a few years ago and seeing them shuttle an "extra engine" around).

-Bill