battery equaliser

wild01
wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
http://www.batteryequaliser.com/

Anybody have any experience with this stuff? (sounds to good to be true=probably is, but it would be nice)

if anyone has a set of freshly almost fried batteries it might be fun to see what this junk does

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: battery equaliser

i, personally, would not add that stuff to a good battery. if there was any merit to it, don't you think the battery manufacturers would be using it? it will also void your warranty if it hasn't run out. the only time i'd think about trying something like that is when i'd be facing a bad battery and it needs replaced, but i can't get it soon enough. it will most likely be a futile effort to desperately try to revive a bad battery with it as i don't believe it'll do much good and i believe it may possibly harm a good battery.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    wild01 wrote: »
    http://www.batteryequaliser.com/

Anybody have any experience with this stuff? (sounds to good to be true=probably is, but it would be nice)

if anyone has a set of freshly almost fried batteries it might be fun to see what this junk does

Well, I have no idea if it really works or doubles the life of a battery or not, but in reading how they say it works, and what it does, they seem to know something about battery chemistry. I would expect a "total" scam not to mention any of this technical kind of stuff.

Of course, that ~could~ be entirely cover up talk !
    I did not see if the site showed WHAT the substance is that's in that tube of brill-cream.

boB :D
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    boB wrote: »
    Of course, that ~could~ be entirely cover up talk !
    I did not see if the site showed WHAT the substance is that's in that tube of brill-cream.

boB :D

Probably EDTA, that is the most common chemical used on "ninja desulfation". Why ninja? - well because while it will give poorly maintained heavily sulfated batteries a few more weeks or months of life, some other bad things happen. It is semi-useful if you just need to get a little more time out of your sulfated battery.

The catch is that if used on a good battery or lightly sulphated one, it can do a lot more harm than good.
    ... Mix the EDTA with a small amount (an ounce or two) of distilled water and add it to the cell. Recharge the cell and give it an equalizing charge. Recharging the cell speeds up the reaction and allows the EDTA to strip the Level Three bonds from the surface of the cell's plates. After this reaction takes place, the dead Level Three materials fall to the bottom of the cell as a precipitate....
    (From an old HP article)

That precipitate can not only pile up on the bottom of your battery, it can also short the cells out and/or warp the plates. The Lead that it strips from the plates is permanently locked up in that precipated goo on the bottom of your battery.

In short, you can't hurt a bad battery with it, but you can sure hurt a good one.
  • wild01
    wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

A lead-acid battery electrolyte fluid solution additive is disclosed, the fluid solution additive including aluminum sulfate, cobalt sulfate, copper sulfate, magnesium sulfate, cadmium sulfate, sodium sulfate, potassium sulfate, and deionized water sufficient to effect extended battery life.

(from their patent)
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

hmm...

Cadmium, well that sure makes me feel safe about using it

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/cadmium/