SUNPUMP SDS-Q130 Submersible

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Looking for experiences with this product/company? Filtering is an issue? Better to run 24 V versus 12 V?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: SUNPUMP SDS-Q130 Submersible

In general, if you have the option, running higher voltages/lower current is almost always better than running low voltage/high current.

At the very least, If you double the voltage, you can use 1/2 the amount of copper wire gauge (~3 awg smaller) or you can send the electricity for twice as far.

Otherwise, the mix of loads (DC, AC, local, longer distances, price vs voltage) will all have an affect on your design. Typically, 48 volts DC is about the highest voltage you will find in a "home" type off-grid system. Above 60 VDC is considered "hazardous" voltage and more rules and regulations apply.

Even running 12 volt DC devices on a 12 volt battery bank can be an issue... "Car" accessories are generally designed to run between 12.5 to 14.2 volts... On an Off-Grid deep cycle battery bank with appropriate charging algorithms, devices should be able to function correctly between 10.5 to ~15.5 volts... Many of the "simpler/cheaper" 12 VDC devices may fail pretty quickly (had reports here of some DC laptop adapter fail) on the wide voltages seen on an off-grid system.

Many times, using an 120 or 240 VAC inverter can solve many of the DC limitations for not that much in cost (and allow standardization on 120 VAC, etc.).

I don't have a well, so I cannot help you with the other questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Moe
    Moe Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Even running 12 volt DC devices on a 12 volt battery bank can be an issue... "Car" accessories are generally designed to run between 12.5 to 14.2 volts... On an Off-Grid deep cycle battery bank with appropriate charging algorithms, devices should be able to function correctly between 10.5 to ~15.5 volts... Many of the "simpler/cheaper" 12 VDC devices may fail pretty quickly (had reports here of some DC laptop adapter fail) on the wide voltages seen on an off-grid system.

With the possible exception of car radios, most 12-volt DC devices are not "car" accessories--they're designed for RV and marine use with the wider range of deep-cycle batteries, and hold up well to use by full-time RVers and live-aboard boaters. Few wise boaters and RVers run their batteries down to 10.5 volts and those who equalize batteries at 15.5 volts usually do it under controlled conditions while monitoring the batteries with loads turned off.

There is a limited selection of the same DC devices that accommodate 24 volt use. Going that route will let you run a practical system twice as large in wattage, essentially covering electric refrigeration, in addition to lights, fans, music, pressure pump, etc. From what I've seen it also appears most DC well pumps are 24 volt, but if the well is some distance from the house, you might chose to run it on its own 24 volt panels anyway.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Loss in the wire run is not an issue, I will have the panel(s) at the pump. I happen to have two KYOCERO 130 W panels. I can run one panel, at 12 V or two panels at 24 V +/- of course. Concern is will this overpower the pump? Amperage may be too much?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If not using a pump motor designed for solar, typically over/under voltage is more of an issue that just current source itself (batteries can supply much more current than solar panels).

Search for Linear Current Booster and read up on them... Can be very helpful in running DC motors on solar panels (including well pumps).

A couple products to start with:

http://store.yahoo.com/wind-sun/7amplincurbo.html
    http://store.yahoo.com/wind-sun/902-100.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Moe
    Moe Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭

Based on the charts available by clicking the Q130 pump icon on this page, I'd say two KC-130s in series would not only be safe, but probably desirable depending on depth and desired flow.

But if spending that much money, I'd call SunPumps toll-free number and ask (note they also sell solar controllers).
    Toll-free: 1(800)370-8115
    Phone: (928) 348-9652
    Fax: (928) 348-9653 
    [email]sales@sunpumps.com[/email]
    325 E. Main Street
    Safford, Arizona 85546

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I run the shurflo 9300 submersible pumping from a lake into 60 psi pressure tank. I run it with a linear current booster @ 24 vdc. It looks like these pumps are pretty similar. Works well, draws 9 amps at 12vdc at full pressure.

The sun pumps look well built. My one complaint with the Shurflo is the electrical connection is a bit skimpy. You have little tiny lugs to wire in #10 Pump wire, through a couple of water proof boots. If you don't get it exactly right, the wires work loose on the lugs. They don't sell the rubber boots separately, only in a kit that is ~ $75. I made enough noise to Shurflo that they send me a couple of sets of boots to spare. In my case the pump in under the ice for 6 months a year and there is no way to service it the connection fails.

Tony
  • miket
    miket Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭

Joe, best talk to the folks at Sunpump for the full specifics. The SDS Q 130 is real hoss.

Hope yu have PLENTY of storage and pumping capacity (and good well recovery rate). You could easily pump 1600 gallons a day or more depending on location and total head.

I have an SDS D 128 and I pump all the water my well can produce in a day, upwards of 600 to 800 gallons a day. I have only 160 watts of panels and pretty crappy sun exposure. I have a PCA 30M1 controller running on a 24 volt pv array. It's amazing how early in the day it starts pumping!

I'm supremely pleased with the Sunpump system.

Mike
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Miket thank especially for your comments. Pumping about 30 ft lift to a 1,800 gal tank (old fuel tank). Will pump from a small spring/drain that runs about 5-9 gpm. Going to use a 6 inch pvc casing, with slits, and try a 200 micron mesh wrapped on inside to filter. Want a pressure switch to turn on/off at the pump to eliminate running 800 ft wire. Think it should work...sunpump seems the best value/quality product for diaphragm type pumps. Watering garden, landscaping, 20 fruit trees and 100 grapevine (drip). Summer is just around the corner!!