How many invested in solar stocks last year?

Windsun
Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
We did not :D

Solar and energy stocks had all the signs of the recent dotcom bubble, so I stayed away completely.

And as of right now, I see nothing that really looks good. I expect at least a few companies to have some real problems in 2009. And, no I have no idea which, except that we wonder about Evergreen Solar (ESLR), and have thought for some time that First Solar (FSLR) is way overpriced and overhyped.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How many invested in solar stocks last year?

I've owned Energy Conversion Devices since ~1978. A whopping 10 shares. Never seen a dividend, and I think the stock price is about the same as it is now! I sorta forget that I have it.

T
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought any stocks, per se, but I HAVE invested a LOT of time.

From what I am hearing, 2009 should help this industry s LOT.

Time will tell.

Merry New Year !

boB
    :D
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

I invested in actual Stock, Outback MNS and X whilst the $ was in the doldrums.
    Then we had the credit crunch the £ made a U turn and kicked in the afterburners heading south and the Euro took a jump downwards although admittedly wearing a parachute,

So I have stock, but it feels as if someone flicked a switch and all the spending in Spain stopped just after the builders left to go back thier homelands.:cry:
  • icarus
    boB wrote: »
    I haven't bought any stocks, per se, but I HAVE invested a LOT of time.

From what I am hearing, 2009 should help this industry s LOT.

Time will tell.

Merry New Year !

boB
    :D

BoB,

I disagree,,I think that '09 is going to be very tough in the business. The collapse of oil prices, driving down energy prices across the board makes it all that much harder to get projects to pencil out. On an large scale getting the money together is almost impossible, especially when the perceived pay off is not there. Witness the collapse of Pickens wind farm ideas, as well as the big wind farm in E. Washington that has been put on hold.

At the individual/retail level, people who lose their jobs, or are having trouble paying the bills, have a hard time justifying spending $$ on RE while the price of energy is so low, money is hard to borrow, and equity is evaporating.

Having said that,,,have a happy new year!

Tony

PS. Our paths probably crossed sometime in the early '70's. I was involved in the music biz in Bellingham, and from your site, know some of the folks I saw there,,,Wheatfield etc. Used to work with Phase Linear and Tapco stuff.

T
  • Windsun

http://www.investorideas.com/pl/news/010209a.asp

....and as the table below clearly shows, solar stocks with their very high beta's* did about twice a poorly as the general market.

Symbol
    Company Name
    Performance % 2008
    AKNS
    Akeena Solar, Inc.
    ASTI
    Ascent Solar Technologies, Inc.
    CSIQ
    Canadian Solar Inc.
    CSUN
    China Sunergy Company Ltd.
    DSTI
    DayStar Technologies Inc.
    EMKR
    EMCORE Corporation
    ENER
    Energy Conversion Devices Inc
    ESLR
    Evergreen Solar, Inc.
    FSLR
    First Solar, Inc.
    JASO
    JA Solar Holdings Co., Ltd
    LDK
    LDK Solar Company Ltd.
    RSOL
    Real Goods Solar, Inc.
    SOL
    ReneSola, Ltd. (United Kingdom) ADR
    SOLF
    Solarfun Power Holdings Co.
    SPIR
    Spire Corporation
    SPWR
    Sunpower Corporation
    STP
    Suntech Power Holdings ADR
    TSL
    Trina Solar Limited
    WFR
    MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc.
    YGE
    Yingli Green Energy Holding Company Limited

2008 Average Solar Stock Decrease
    -76.0%

Leading Indexes

DJIA
    Dow Jones Industrials
    SPX
    S&P 500 Index
    NASD
    Nasdaq Composite

Average Index 2008 Decrease
    -37.60%
  • icarus

I suppose you could consider them a bargain now! Or not!

Tony
  • Windsun

Actually I think that some of them are, but I am waiting a couple weeks before I do anything myself.

A couple I would stay away from, like First Solar (FSLR), simply because I don't trust their hype, but that is just my opinion.

The single major factor I think in how solar does will be the credit situation, if it eases up then I look for some decent gains.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would still be very careful investing anything... Many of these companies had problems making money in good times... Now with the oil and credit market collapse--they may be seriously impacted.

And even if they rise in the near future--it could still be a "dead cat bounce".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    icarus wrote: »
    BoB,

I disagree,,I think that '09 is going to be very tough in the business. The collapse of oil prices, driving down energy prices across the board makes it all that much harder to get projects to pencil out. On an large scale getting the money together is almost impossible, especially when the perceived pay off is not there.

My outlook is only valid if Obama can get that money spent on Renewable energy that he said he would. Lots of promises. We can but hope.
    I know the biggies have been affected but hope that will change. At least the small companies, like OutBack, Magnum, MidNite, are doing "OK" for now. Affected yes, but not to the extent of those ones listed above.
    as well as the big wind farm in E. Washington that has been put on hold.
    Now I hadn't heard that ! (or maybe I had ?) This must be the PSE sites I suppose.
    Having said that,,,have a happy new year!

Tony

PS. Our paths probably crossed sometime in the early '70's. I was involved in the music biz in Bellingham, and from your site, know some of the folks I saw there,,,Wheatfield etc. Used to work with Phase Linear and Tapco stuff.
    WoW ! What a small world !

You know, the northwest inverter industry (Except for Dynamote) came out of the old audio industry when Steve Johnston, (Bob Carver's ex partner at Phase Linear), in the early eighties, was sailing around the world... Steve had just thrown overboard, yet "another" broken Tripp-Lite inverter and landed on a beach in Costa Rica owned by none other than Heart, of Heart Interface. Steve and the guys that started Trace engineering worked with him at first before starting Trace... Which Xantrex of course later (much later) bought... Of course, Trace/Xantrex begat OutBack Power, Magnum Energy, and now MidNite Solar. And, other companies started out of Phase Linear too. Mackie, Rane, Symetrix. etc etc. We're all "related".

I am still in touch with the audio people, Mackie, etc, and even go to Oregon to see Wheatfield now and then. They have gotten together again to play once in a while. Wonderful !

Merry New Year ! :D

boB
  • icarus

BoB,

I used to live in an apartment that Kerry Canfield vacated to move to Eugene. Used to have to carry his damn Piano up and down the stairs after every gig! I used to own the Swift Current bus! I just strung cords and turned dials,, never got into the technical side of things. Just gave away a Phase 400 that was blowing fuses.

As for the E Washington wind farm, there was a piece I read somewhere in the last couple of weeks that a big project had been put on hold. Don't know if it was PSE or not.

Tony
  • boB

>>I used to live in an apartment that Kerry Canfield vacated to move to Eugene. Used to have to carry his damn Piano up and down the stairs after every gig! I used to own the Swift Current bus! I just strung cords and turned dials

WoW ! REALLY small world ! I was a Wheatfield addict starting around 1976 or so when they used to come to Seattle... Pre-Kerry. They had a TAPCO mixer (as you know) and I fixed it, which is where I met them. I remember that piano too ! I actually first met my wife in October 1982 at the G-Note in Seattle during Wheatfield's last weekend there. I also some recordings of those nights. Yes, we probably DID meet each other somwehere along the lines.

I tell you, they were REALLY energy related ! Got LOTS of dancing excersize ! :D Someof the best times and years of my life.
    I'm glad they are still playing some.
    boB