Xantrex XW6048 - need external grid down signal

pcguy2u
pcguy2u Solar Expert Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
Just installed a Xantrex XW6048 and I am in need of an external signal that tells me when the is grid down - the XW has an AUX signal block that can only be activated when there is some battery condition/power level change. That was confirmed by the tech support staff and they couldn't come up with any other way to make this work.

Ulitmately I need to momentarily apply 12VDC to an external relay. If anyone has any ideas, I will appreciate hearing them.

PS - I have been contemplating a 240VAC fused relay circuit, but the relay will always be active when the grid is up - something just the opposite would be better???????????????:roll:

Many thanks, Nick

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XW6048 - need external grid down signal

This is kind of cheesy, but how about a neon or LED night light shining onto an "off at dawn/on at dusk" switch? Or just a photocell? That shouldn't draw too much power...
  • pcguy2u
    pcguy2u Solar Expert Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XW6048 - need external grid down signal

So how do you get it to be momentary for about 1-2 seconds without going to a timer of some sort. All my ideas relate to a standing voltage condition that needs to converted to a momentary 12vdc.

BTW, I just read the documentation and found that the AUX circuit could be defined to activate on any fault (includes the grid going down among others), and it can also be activated manually from the Control Panel and then deactivated immediately thereafter. I was looking for something more automated and short duration...............

Nick