mppt Q: (a different one)

al128
al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
from the forum's sponsor's website (emphasis mine)

snip

A MPPT, or maximum power point tracker is an electronic DC to DC converter that optimizes the match between the solar array (PV panels), and the battery bank, utility power, DC motor, or DC pump.

/snip

I would like to know if I can use a - say - MX60 (or flexmate60 now) to sirve duty as a mppt pump controller, avoiding to burn out the 12VDC pump's motor.

Is there a way to "force" the MX60's output to 12V, instead of overpowering the pump @ 17V ????

fwiworth: I plan to buy a FM60 down the road anyway, but it would be ok for me to buy it now and save the 150 or so bucks for a pump controller.

I burnt up a (cheapish) pump by connecting it directly to a 75w panel, and dont want to do it again :blush:

any thoughts on IF and HOW it would work would be greatly appreciated. Any do's and dont's, as well

cheers and thx!
al

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: mppt Q: (a different one)

you could if it had a battery connected as the mx60 needs a battery to work. there are buck/boost regulators out there made for pumps that don't need the battery.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I think the statement is about "MPPT" (Maximum Power Point Tracking) is talking about the technology in general...

If I recall correctly, the MX/FM family (and most others?) charge controllers need a battery (with over 6+ volts of charge) connected to their output to "turn on". Solar Charge controllers (PWM, MPPT, etc.) are not intended to run pumps/motors by themselves--they are intended to charge battery banks.

There are various devices out there for "matching" the output of solar panels to the input requirements of electric motors (including pumps).... Linear Current Boosters are one type:

7 amp Linear Current Booster/Pump Driver
    Shurflo 9300 Basic Pump Controller

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • al128
    al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

thx,

of course - how could I forget the battery-issue of the cc !!!!

(witch-slaps himself) :p

cheers,
    al