Shipping charges at NAWS

JESSICA
JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
Greetings:

Can anyone in this forum (moderators, particularly) ask NAWS to ship products via USPS?
Last Friday I tried to buy an FX2524, and the shipping charges were $180 (to Puerto Rico).
When I put a tiny, class T, fuse in the shopping cart (price: $20), shipping charges for this item alone would be $18!
A year ago, when I bought my EXELTECH 1100, OUTBACK MX60, cables, fuses, breakers, etc. (here at NAWS), shipping charges (via USPS) were just around $70 for the entire order!
I know that gas prices are up, like everything else. But UPS is just too expensive.
So please, if anyone has any influence over the shipping department at NAWS, please, ask them to offer, as an alternative, shipping via United States Postal Service.
Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Shipping charges at NAWS

Just an FYI to everyone here...

NAWS does not monitor this thread/forum for business related issues... And neither Niel nor I have any direct relationship with NAWS/Wind-Sun other than to help remove spam and spammers from this forum.

"Jessica", if you have not yet, please contact NAWS at their business phone directly and ask. They will be better able to help you than we can here.

Personally, I use USPS myself for most of my shipments because it is easier to pickup things from my PO Box than to wait hours/days for a delivery truck--so I feel your pain (not withstanding the cost savings too).

Please see this link for general shipping/business information and contact numbers for NAWS (NAWS does note you can ask for USPS--however tracking is not available--and USPS does not handle the larger packages).

Regards,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JESSICA

Thanks, BB. It's good to know someone do understand.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The reality is that most small businesses us ups/fedex rather that the usps because they carry accounts, and do daily pick up. Usps is getting better at doing what ups does, but it has a way to go. As suggested, call the business office and see what can be done. Perhaps some compromise where you pay something extra, or wait to have stuff shipped only on Fridays rather than next day etc.

Tony
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We stopped shipping many items USPS for a few reasons:

1. No tracking. People would claim - rightly or wrongly - that the items were never received, and we were out the cost of the item and the shipping. Even if insured, it takes 3-5 months to get insurance back on USPS.
    2. Rates on Priority mail have gone much higher recently, to the point where they are only slightly cheaper than Fedex and UPS, and sometimes more. Shipping regular parcel post is not a good option on high value items.
    3. USPS has no daily pickup, so we have to send someone to the post office to stand in line and fill out the forms. Fedex and UPS pickup at our loading dock at the store.

#2 was brought home to me personally just today, when I ordered some specialty coffee. 10 pounds was $22 USPS, $19.60 UPS, and $14.90 Fedex "Home Delivery" option from MA.
  • JESSICA

Windsun:

Thanks for your explanation.

Nevertheless: Don’t you agree with me that it is…well…excessive to charge $18 to ship a tiny class T fuse to Puerto Rico? The fuse itself is just $20!

As I said in the first message of this thread, I bought all my solar system components (except pv panels) at NAWS. You sent them via USPS. Everything was perfect… and no so expensive.

I like your company, and I am grateful for your service (and for the forum!) But UPS prices are too expensive.

Jessica
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Windsun wrote: »
    #2 was brought home to me personally just today, when I ordered some specialty coffee. 10 pounds was $22 USPS, $19.60 UPS, and $14.90 Fedex "Home Delivery" option from MA.
    Is that what you serve in the store? I'll be in Flagstaff the middle of December for the Polar Express and may stop in for a cuppa joe!:D
  • icarus
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Windsun:

Thanks for your explanation.

Nevertheless: Don’t you agree with me that it is…well…excessive to charge $18 to ship a tiny class T fuse to Puerto Rico? The fuse itself is just $20!

As I said in the first message of this thread, I bought all my solar system components (except pv panels) at NAWS. You sent them via USPS. Everything was perfect… and no so expensive.

I like your company, and I am grateful for your service (and for the forum!) But UPS prices are too expensive.

Jessica

No offense to NAWS, but sometimes it just makes sense to buy locally, especially the small stuff.

Tony
  • toothy
    toothy Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I live in Alaska and have this problem ALL the time, including with NAWS.

UPS and FEdEX are always much more here I'm talking 2-3 times, I think it is the same for Hawaii and the protectorates, also the out of country military bases.

When you live in one of these places you get used to waiting for stuff. I wouldn't mind waiting for them to ship once a week USPS. If I need it now, there is always UPS.

High shipping costs affect my decisions about where to purchase stuff more than time to ship.

Wade
  • icarus

Consider using a third party shipping service/drop box such as Mailboxes etc.

I know that I have kept a contract mail box at such a service and they will re-ship stuff however I wish. For example, ship from the vender via ups, then reship via usps.

Tony
  • JESSICA

Thanks, Icarus.

Nevertheless, in my experience, whenever third parties intervenes, whenever intermediaries are called in, something can (and usually will) go wrong; and when, in such cases, something goes wrong, all parties will blame one each other and no one assumes responsibility.

Hence I prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

Maybe now that gas prices are going down, UPS will also reduce its prices. (Wishful thinking?)
  • warren
    warren Registered Users Posts: 21
    toothy wrote: »
    I live in Alaska and have this problem ALL the time, including with NAWS.

UPS and FEdEX are always much more here I'm talking 2-3 times, I think it is the same for Hawaii and the protectorates, also the out of country military bases.

When you live in one of these places you get used to waiting for stuff. I wouldn't mind waiting for them to ship once a week USPS. If I need it now, there is always UPS.

High shipping costs affect my decisions about where to purchase stuff more than time to ship.

Wade

My 0.02...It's surprising no one from the great white north hasn't chipped in...It's not that USPS is cheaper, in fact it is usually higher BUT the other agencies have a tendency to absolutely screw the purchaser with insane brokerage fees coming into Canada...UPS is definitely one of the worst. In some cases shipping & brokerage fees have totalled more than 1/2 the cost of the article. I will not buy from a supplier that will not ship USPS....or freight for large items.

Regards
  • icarus

From the great white north,,, another perspective.

I have lots of stuff shipped from the states, the biggest problem is that it can take almost forever to get stuff! It seems that everything has to go to Toronto as a port of entry and then up here to the boonies. Additionally, all I have is a post office box, (since I live 100km from town) and UPS/DHL/Fedex/Purlolator won't/can't ship to.

We beat the system by shipping stuff to a border store on the US side. They charge $3 per pkg or $5 for a forklift pallet skid. Someone is almost always going down within a week or two. Shipping this way is way cheaper, and most times faster. Clearing Canadian customs is a breeze, you just have to pay GST/PST and if you have been out of the country long enough you don't even have to pay that.

Even shipping stuff to us from in Canada is a problem with only a P/O box, I often have to have stuff shipped to friendly businesses.

Tony