Panel Mount Problems Warning

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
The new panel mount I got is of the "clamp" type; holding the PV on by friction only. I complained to the seller that it was likely to let go, causing $2,000 of glass and silicon to crash to the ground. I was assured this would NOT happen: it's all "tested and approved", et cetera.

Guess what I found tucked into the install manual for the panel? An addendum sheet that reads:

"Addendum to Installation Manual - Mounting Configuration

Purpose: Clarify acceptable mounting configurations.

Mounting Specifications: UL has determined that, pending further UL testing, mounting with "clamps" or "clips" is not an acceptable mounting method. This notice supersedes the Installation Manual and other Addendums."

Isn't that great? (They sent the wrong manual for the MATE too.)
Moral: don't expect the people selling this stuff to know what the hell they're talking about.

I 'wired' my panel to the top rail to prevent slippage.

Comments

• Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Panel Mount Problems Warning

The correct way to do this is to call the installers and demand this be fixed, since the panel maker is saying that the mounting type is not acceptable. If the panels aren't mounted correctly, then when something happens insurance will tell you so sad, too bad, improper installation caused the failure and will deny the claim. Had this happen to me, an air conditioner unit was installed incorrectly, was not bolted to the concrete pad as per instructions. When it failed, the insurance adjuster canceled the claim due to improper install. It was one of those policies they sell to the seller when they are selling the house to make the house more attractive to buyers, so I really didn't have much of a leg to stand on since I didn't actually buy the policy and the seller died shortly after we bought the house. Wound up paying to have a new unit put in.